Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently while out riding with my buddies, I lined the grizz up with a 800 Polaris Sportsman, and a Kawi 700 KFX Vforce. I figured I was at the disadvantage with the "little machine". After about 300 yards, I was pleasantly suprised to find myself about 2-3 bike lengths behind the kawi, and about 1 bike length in FRONT of the Polaris. The grizz still amazes me.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
That's a question i've been pondering for a while. Way to show them! I've find i can take a kawi 750 if I have a long enough drag strip. When they hit top speed I can catch up and pass. I just love it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can'tcatch my buddies 750 brute force,not even on top end,his does 75 mph,it use to do 65 mph untill he put a dyna ignition on it

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Yeh, the one I lined up to was stock-tires and all. He killed me at take off through.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Those things are just fast no getting around it. ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Deek I don't think the driver of the Sportsman had it on full throttle. Our Uncle's Sportsman 700 at top speed it passes my Grizz like I'm standing still.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I too lined up against the Polaris 800...I did great on takeoff...05 Grizz...but it beat me. I think he had some stuff under it though to help it out...he finally admitted to having a few mods...LOL! Either that or that **** wind that day was holding me back...HA!

I usually have good luck with drag racing...beat several quads comparable...but not that **** Polaris 800...the 700 Sportsman I own...just doesn't have the power even with the jet kit and filters...I love my Grizzly...

Dawn

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
The Grizz is a decently fast machine... mine isn't, though. For as long as I've had it, it's been pretty slow, thanks to the big wheels/tires. I remember racing a totally stock Grizzly once and he beat me pretty bad. I figure the tires do a lot, plus the weight of my metal skidplates, winch, cargo boxes, etc. The clutching helps though.

It's worth noting that the Poo 800 is 170 lbs heavier than a Grizzly 660 stock for stock... so even if the Sportsman makes 60 hp l ike I think it does (compared to 35-45 hp for the Grizz depending on mods), the Grizz will still keep up pretty good if it's not being held back by mods like mine.

600 lbs / 45 hp (K&N filter, pipe, and jetting) = 13.33 lbs per hp...

770 lbs / 60 hp (stock) = 12.83 lbs per hp... which is really pretty doggone close.

I've been thinking about doing a 686 kit on my Grizz with a cam... that would probably get it as fast as the Sportsman, but I don't want to sacrifice any reliability or fuel economy. That's one thing the Sportsman beats the Grizzly in for sure -- MPG, no doubt thanks to EFI.

Rob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The guy that I raced is a pretty big guy though. So maybe that is the difference, he probably out weighs me by 60-70 pounds. I'm still not impressed with the power of his machine though. I think I could take the extra $1500 he spent on his machine, and make the Grizz blow him away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dad has polaris 800 efi and compared to my grizz it is a torque monster you stab the throttle and the thing launches out of the hole and puts 4 lengths on me right now and keeps pulling away. It has way more torque to get that thing movin so the extra weight isn't really a issue. I will still take my grizz over anything else it has NEVER let me down. It won't be long and Yamaha will have a bigger badder grizz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts