Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like I have been having Radiator issues ever since I have had my Grizz. I ride in all conditions from dry sage brush to the dunes, and most recently the snow. My radiators is clean and free from debris, and I have even changed over to Engine Ice which I run in My high Performance Banshee with noticably cooler running temps. My radiator and overflow bottle are both full. The problem is that It seems to get hot no matter what the condition. I have the vented side panels, but I was noticing that as I was riding around this past weekend in near 20 degree temps that my fans kept coming on and staying on for quite a while, and things seem to be worse in warmer temps.

I have looked at the highlifter radiator/temp kits, but want to make sure that I am not overlooking something else before i shell out several hundred clams.....

Thanks in advance for any input,
Dan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, the temp light has never come on, just the fan..

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Do you clean your fan out from the front and back? I get right in the back beside the side shields with my garden hose set on shower and move it around as much as I can and you should see the extra sand and mud come out. If your light has never come on then I wouldn't worry about your fan coming on a lot. I wish my fan came on more than it does! To me Yamaha has the temp setting for the fan set too high? I don't know what else it could be? Did you let the Grizz warm up good with the rad cap off after adding the engine ice? You may have an air pocket in there? Kind of a stretch but something to consider. Good Luck......Irv

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
My fan run lots too, but so do all the other brands of quads. If it hasn't turned on the red light keep on trucking. When the electic fan on your car turns on it doesn't mean it's going to overheat. Go out, have fun, worry about your gas gauge, worry about your wife finding out about your girlfriend, don't worry about your fan.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh don't worry, the fan coming on hasn't stopped me from riding my beast. I just was trying to get an idea of what others peoples grizzly's were doing. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't heading towards a costly repair bill. Also it kind of worried me a bit by coming on while riding in such a cool climate.

Thanks for the input,
Dan

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
my temp light never came on, fan came on all the time,,, so to ease my mind i got a temp guage,,,, kinda takes some of the guess work out of it,,,,,, ,,,,,, cg

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Your fan is supposed to come on. You don't have any worries unless your temp light comes on or if it is hot and your fan doesn't come on.

CG, Now that you have had the temp guage for a while, have you had any problem with the placement as far as rocks and stuff hitting it from the inside of the fender?

·
Registered
20 Posts
About the temperature (dummy) light. You can check to see if it's functioning correctly. With the atv off and in park, turn the ignition key on and tap the start button. As soon as the start button is tapped the dummy light should light briefly to test it's functionality.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
There have been many issues with the temp light and fan sensors going bad. Usually either the light won't go out or the fan won't come on. I would say if you are having problems that is the first place to look. For the best piece of mind you can install a $90 temp guage like CG's.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where is the temp sensor located for the Indicator light. I found the fan temp sensor, but I'm not sure where to look for the indicator temp sensor.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
137 Posts
It is in the cylinder head just behind the thermostat housing.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
starky,,, just now seen your questin,,, no problems,,, it doesnt hang down any more than the switch does on the other side,,,,,, and is easy to see,,,, ,,,, cg

·
Registered
382 Posts
addicted2mud brings up a really good point, if I had my choice between worrying about the fan or the wife finding out about the girlfriend I would say "F that fan yo" and ride, ride ride!!!! the Grizz that is....[/b]

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it appears that the light isn't working. I just ordered the temp gauge, it should be here in a few days. curious to see how hot it's really running

·
Registered
382 Posts
out of curiosity what makes you say the light does not work? adding the temp gauge is a real good idea, but the idiot light still needs to be fixed.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
my light had never came on either,,, I tried the test by hitting the starter and several others,,,,finally took the wire off the sensor and grounded it and the light came on so i guess it is working,,, I still say it is a good thing to go with the guage,,,, a good way to catch a overheating problem before you runs into more money,,,,, ,,,,,, ,,,,, cg

·
Registered
382 Posts
you're right CG I much prefer a gauge over the idiot light, the sending unit provides ground to the light once the heat sensitive switch closes...I dont know how hard it is to remove the switch (aka sending unit) and do a resistance check on it, when cold it should read open circuit but if you place it in 180 degree water ( or whatever the set temp may be) you should see it change to zero ohms. that would eliminate the sending unit, a wiring connection should be the only thing in between it and the light.

sober up did we CG???? :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did the test as specified by Brianc, and as it is also outlined in the yamaha reference manual. The light did not come on at all. We will see what happens when I get the gauge installed.

Just out of curiousity, what is the average temp that everyone with a gauge is running???

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
dnhyoung,,, it has been a while since it was hot out and I was riding but it seems like on a 100 plus day it would run around 190, get on the open road and maybe a little less and slow down so as not to get the air flow thru the rad and it would climb up around 200,,,,, if the outside temp was in the eightys or low ninties it would run aroun 180,,,, like I say ,,, it has been awhile but these numbers are pretty close,,,,,, ,,,,,,,cg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts