Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have not got any ramps, cant decide on what kind to get, and still not sure if 6' is long enough for my Grizzly and my Z71 short bed Silverado.

Would I be better of getting a trailer, if so what size would you recomend? I will only be hauling on wheeler.

·
Registered
462 Posts
being a short bed,,,you may want to go with a trailer,,,,ive seen several rear windows get KO'd hopping over the fender wells

but with a trailer,you have to get it legal,and there not real cheap,even a small one for one bike can be 5 or 6 hundred bucks

i have a 2004 F-250,and i just got the aluminum ends,and (2) 2x12x8's from Lowes,and i have no problems,,,,my truck sits pretty high too,but i have the 8' bed

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Grizzly fits between the wheel wells and the tailgate shuts with the quad loaded. I do still use tie downs incase I had to stop quick, the quad bumber is stopped by the back of the bed, but I am sure a hard stop and the machine could jump over the back of the bed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am borrowing my neighbors alumimum ramp that folds in half. It's like 42" wide x 6' long. Works well with my 2500HD 4x4 Crewcab shortbox.

I'm too undecided on a wider ramp or trailer. This is my dilemma.

If I buy a ramp, I would definetly need a 48" wide ramp. The 42" is okay, but I have to make very sure it is lined up correctly when loading and unloading. Plus, the griz's front bumper pops the rear window of my truck when going over bumps. The first time it happened I thought the rear window got knocked out. With the ramp option, I will have to tie down the griz for little movement. This is about $100 plus.

If I buy a trailer, I would get a 12' to 14'. I would use it for other things than just for hauling the griz. No broken out rear truck window. But I would have one more piece of "lovely" equipment in the yard plus out of pocket of about $1,200 or more.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not had mine hit the window yet, the dealer did mention another idea, leave the tailgate down and use some good tie downs, then the longer ramps would just slide under wheeler. I have not done this but before I buy a window I may. If you get the real good tie downs, and tie down in all 4 corners, I cant imagine the grizz going anywhere, especially in park.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the ramp I am considering, it isnt cheap but can also lock it in the truck while riding and plenty long and wide enough. Ramp

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I bought a small trailer,,,, but if you haul it in the back of the truck you can put a big block of wood in ft. of the tires to keep if from hitting the back of the glass,,,,,, also I just ordered a 06 dodge ram 3500 4x4 with the HO diesel,,, am putting a hay hauling bed on it that has the arms that goes back to pick up a bale,, I will be able to pick up the grizz with the arms and lift it on and off the truck if i need to,,,check out this site,,,http://cannonballengineering.com/products.htm if you check out the photos section you can see some of the four wheelers being loaded,,,, I should have the truck in about another seven weeks,, then will get the bed put on it,,, not sure but thought the old bed would make a kickass hottub,,,drink holders in the stake pockets and maybe a some shade too,,,, ,, ,,, ,,, ,,, cg

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Me being I have used both methods before I would say with only one atv in some cases it is alot easier and more agile to use some ramps and the truck. Don't have to mess around with hooking up a trailer and then getting it loaded, also at least for our state laws they require a plate for a trailer so that is some extra money also. If you think you can get more use out of the trailer than just hauling the Griz or you think that you might end up buying another toy in the future than I would say go with a trailer, if not than I would just place a 4x4 or something up against your cab so you don't end up going through the window and stick with that.

No mater what you decide in the long run all that counts is that you get the Griz to your favorite riding spot and you have fun :)

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
tell ya what i did,i bought a used 101in.by10ft.tryton snowmobile trailer.it works great for us.you can get 2 grizzlys side by side.and a smaller one sideways on the rear of the trailer.plus ya dont need to screw around with ramps.its lite towes great,and ya got the truck bed to put 'stuff'in ya always got 'stuff' good luck desperadojt.

·
Registered
462 Posts
thats a good idea

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Since we have 2 Grizzlies we put one in the truck and one on the trailer. The trailer I picked up used for about $200. It's 7' wide and 8' long. We use it for just about everything so we are definately getting our money's worth.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I have a Fulton tri-fold ramp that is 6' long and works great with my TALL 4x4 Dodge RAM dually. It's a little "thrilling" loading and unloading the first few times, but you get used to it.

Rob

·
Registered
34 Posts
I saw this on ATV Magazine on he OLN Channel

http://www.ultimateracks.com/ultimaterack.htm

Mitchell

1 - 13 of 13 Posts