Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new '05 Yamaha Grizzly in April and I've added a K&N air filter and recently bought an after-market Big Gun pipe. My question to you gurus is what size jet's do I need? Is the 175 the stock size? I know I can order the needles for much less individually rather than purchasing the jet kit. FYI, I'm running 26" mudlites and live in Kansas. Thanks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
The stock Mikuni jet is 153.8 that comes in a grizzly. I would suggest doing plug chops before riding much. With those mods I am pretty sure you will be running lean and hot. You can buy jets from your most any cycle shop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just finished installing a Big Gun Utility Quiet Series pipe, Dial-A-Jet and Thunder Product's TPI valve, which is an additional valve in the lid of the air box allowing more air to enter the air box with the option to regulate the amount.

I have the Dial-A-Jet set at the middle range, running the TPI valve halfway open. Spark plug is cardboard brown and the Grizz is running superb!

Taking the carburetor off was much easier than I though. Just a bit time consuming. The whole process took about 4 hours to install everything and tune the engine. Overall I am very pleased with the outcome. The low-end power I lost switching to the 26" Mud Lites was regain with these options. The pipe is a bit louder than the stock pipe, but much better sounding! The throttle response is outstanding with these additions.

·
Registered
701 Posts
How exactly does that dial a jet work? I would like to get some of the lost power back from my 26's as well. But I may go the cheaper clutch kit route.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go to the address listed below. If you have any further questions, Lonn who owns the company is great at answering any questions.

http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet.htm

The way it works in a brief desciption... Fuel is drawn from the carb bowl through a tube where it is mixed with clean air and injected into the carb depending on the load. There is a dial the adjusts the fuel to air mixture. So since I installed the pipe and high flow air filter, I was running lean. I installed the dial-a-jet and set it to one click towards the rich side.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well that was one way to do it. With the daj you need to be running about 2 jet sizes lean when you install it. So you didn't change your main jet or needle position at all?

I just bought a lid with 1 TPI valve installed but have not run with it open any. After I do my valve adjustment I'll do some plug runs to see what is happening. I suspect that I will at least have to move my needle clip a notch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts