Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am new here and was wondering if anyone could help me. My rear diff is leaking on the right side where the axle goes to the right tire. I was just wondering if any one has done this repair before or knows where i could get more info on doing this repair myself. Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance
Mike

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Welcome to the boards, im sure you will enjoy.

As to your problem im not real famillar with if there is any seals in there or not and where they are but make sure your axle is pushed all the way in and seated. What year machine is this?

Other than that im sorry im not too much help. Maybe someone else will have the answer. Good luck.

Mike

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
welcome Bigmike202,

Sorry I can't help either, buy I am sure someone will have the info you need.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a 2003 Grizzly 660. The axle seems to be seated all the way in. But I did have the left side axle slide out of the diff. but I have since got it back in and it seems to be ok on that side now. But it is leaking on the right side now.
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
just did mine on both sides last weekend. took 20 minutes. jack it up, remove wheel, take two bolts out that hold hub on. take prybar and wedge out axle. remove seal and clean out and then drive in new seal. really cheap fix. good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bigmike you need to do the o-ring under the c-clip trick or you will end up with the same issue. You make also consider the heavy duty shock springs also. The heavy duty springs keep the susp from bottoming out which promotes the axles in pulling out.the o-ring for the rear I think are 7/8 x 1/16th or gorilla axle carries them.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
the upgraded axle circlip is 5km-2536e,10.

Please note they must change both Left and Right together, at the same time!!

It’s like wheel bearings, you can not only do one!

·
Registered
234 Posts
is this c-clip/ oring trick what would stop the axle from popping out when using the machine, both left and rear axles have been making there way out they seem to slide out leaking fluid on my machine. are those part numbers for Yamaha? or gorilla axles?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
the part you need is the "new" circlip 5km-2536e-10 . Also you/they need to check the rear driveshaft "backlash" and that the tolerences are set to the spec in the manual (it uses large shimms for adjustment). Mine have been hassle free for almost a year now!! This is Yamaha standard, not Gorilla

·
Registered
234 Posts
yep just ordered the new clips from the dealer only $1.75 each so they will be in next week, was there something that makes the backlash change?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
grizzlybrian
not sure, only reason I knew about the backlash problem, was we had to wait 4 weeks for the shims from Yamaha Japan!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts