Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was playing around in my yard with my Grizz. Having a little fun for once without the plow. But I have a question about reverse. When I give it a lot of gas in reverse. My quad burps, farts, and makes a lot of clanking noises. Again this is only with a lot of throttle. I thought it might be a my rev limiter. So I hit the overide button and still get the same thing. Is the overide button on an 05 Grizz only when you have the diff lock on and are going forward?

Koko

·
Registered
341 Posts
Koko,

The Grizzly does not come with a reverse overide, it only comes with overide for the front locking diff.

·
Registered
341 Posts
There are a few folks on Ebay that sell a reverse limiter kit, prices ranging from 10 to 20 bucks. I have been contemplating buying the kit but I have been searching around trying to find some basic instructions to do the mod myself. From what I have read is that the kit is basically two wires that you connect to the front diff limiter switch. Seems simple enough to do, but I wouldn't attempt doing it untill I know exactly what wires need to be spliced into. I will keep searching and maybe I will luck out and find out the procedure. It does suck when you are stuck and reverse is the only option of getting out, and you can't throttle up enough to make any headway.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Check out the "overrides" album on this link
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/grizzhoppr/my_photos

I used his one switch method with a relay to override the reverse and difflock on my 03 Grizz and it works great. Usually I do not need the override so I leave it switched off and only switch it on when needed. Shown are ways to override the reverse permanate and on the 04's and newer a way to wire it into the difflock override button.

·
Registered
341 Posts
DKNARD,

Thanks so much for the link and I will check it out. I do like the idea of using the exsisting overide button for the front diff, that way I won't have to add anymore switches. Thanks again DK!

·
Registered
50 Posts
ProCom CDI I installed in my '06 Grizz got rid of both rev limiters in reverse and diff lock.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Koko, search this site on the overide, the only negative i remember was the reverse light stays on all the time!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I bypassed by reverse rev limiter and the reverse light is always off.
This mod is a must. I haven't done the diff lock yet. I'm afraid to break the front diff if reving too high in lock mode.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you bypass using a relay and switch then the reverse light will work all times except when you really need the reverse limiter disabled.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had mine wired to the stock overide button until I found out it was always being overidden when in diff lock. Sooooooo, I took those out and grounded the wire directly to the frame and put a waterproof toggle switch on it. The only side effect is with the switch on, your reverse light will go out. With the switch off, there are no changes. The wire you're looking for is a green aand white striped wire that runs right under the left side of your gas tank. WARNING: Be careful testing it out. Almost rolled mine doing some "testing". Had her up to 18mph in reverse though!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I have a picture of the simple reverse override wire in my profile. Basically, there is a green wire with a white stripe under your seat on the left hand side. It has a bullet connector. After you make your override wire, which costs about .50 cents, you plug the male end into the female connector on the green/white wire and then connect the other end to a ground. Tuck the male end of the green/white wire into the wiring sheath and that's it. Your reverse light may remain on but you have by passed the limiter.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
It's funny how Yamaha put a connector in the middle of a wire like that. You think they had something in mind?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You see Koko, this old man does not have altzheimers yet!! I knew I read the light stays on!!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
The light may be on Beast but I'm not sure anybodys home.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
get out the duct tape,light be gone. my 2

·
Registered
144 Posts
After the bypass by grounding said wire Grizz backs up snow covered hills great!

LIGHT STAYS OFF

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Be carefull when backing up fast. Those things can get away from you in a hurry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts