Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for my first ride today. Needless to say we had a rough trip, but had fun...

We where about 13 miles back in some beautiful Alaska mountains. We were fighting some snow, but want to get to the top to get a breath taking view. The last small distance was a pretty steep hill. We made it, and got some great pics of the mountains and glaciers. On the ride down, the gal in front of me tipped a honda ranch hand on it's side. Not a big deal. She fell off, and rolled down the hill a bit, but was ok. The Wheeler was fine and we helped her down. all was good. Like a dumb a$#, I tried next, rather then waiting for help. The body rolled, I fell off and tumbled pretty good. I scrambled to get out of the way, and wathced as my brand new (15 miles on the odometer) Grizzly roll about 3 1/2 times, and luckily hung up in some small trees, or else it would have went many more! We turned it back on the wheels and let it sit a minute and assesed the damage. I bent the rear rack pretty good, and tweeked the front one as well. The handle bars got turned down, and broke my hand warmers switch. Other than that it appears to be fine! I got pretty lucky, but would really like to help the body roll out. Reading on here looks like I need to crank the shocks up and go with offset rims and radial tires.

After that whole ordeal, we were heading back, and were fighting the snow patches. I ended up getting stuck, so my buddy with his brand new Artic Cat 700, turned around to winch me out. In doing so he managed to pop a front tire off the bead!! We flagged the other buddy over who has an 05 King Quad. He back tracks about a mile, and when he gets to us we noticed his front skid plate had been pretty much ripped off. We got it some what fastened back on, then he was able to pull me out.

We went back to check out the tire problem. We had a small air compressor with us and we tried to pump it up to see if we could get the tire to seat again. We had no luck. We decieded to send the King quad back to the truck (10 miles of pretty nasty trail) with the other 2 quads. Once they got back to the truck they were going to take one of the tires off the other artic cat, then bring it out to us. They took off for the truck, and me and the buddy played with the tire some more. We had a couple bottles of water, and cleaned out the rim and tire the best we could. We propped it up with a couple rocks under the step so the front tire was completly off the ground. I took My grizz, and and nosed it up to the the tire. We ran out my winch line and rapped it around the tire. We sucked up the line a little so there was evan pressure all the way around the tire, then turned on the air compressor. We poured a little water on the bead and looked for bumbbles. Pulling on the tire a bit, it started to go seat!! A few minutes later, we had back on and aired up!!! We cruzzed back to the truck, and got back just in time, before they started taking off the tire!!

Needless to say it was a very eventful trip, and we had a lot of fun. I guess we have a have a few bugs to work. lol

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to sure this unusal experience with everyone!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
hi roan sounds like you had a rough roll hope it dont cost to much for new racks . if you go to the beast's pics you will see some nice wheel spacers that might help i would def go with radials and a co2 tire repair-inflater kit(@39$) good luck bob m

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
roan65
sorry about the mishap!! Character Building they say.

You did't get hurt, thats the main thing!!!

It sounds like you going to ride rather agressivly, like i do.

If so, like bobmmor says, put on spacers and also if you can BIGHORN radials!

PS look on ebay for racks before you buy new from Yamaha, you may save a small fortune!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Thanks for sharing Roan, sorry to hear about your mishap(s) I don't think I can add anything else that Beast and Bob didn't cover? Wheel spacers or aftermarket rims are definately a must. Take your time in purchasing both tires and rims, there are tons to choose from and the Bighorns are a favourite amongst rock climbers/crawlers but it boils down to personal preference and cost. Good luck........Irv

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice job on getting a little creative to re-seat the bead!! Sounds like you broke 'er in the hard way!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
with a little help from the porta power, the racks are pretty much good as new! I Just gotta wash it and make sure I didn't miss anyting. All in all, everything is great. Does add charecter! lol

I will deffantly be buying rims and tires, and probably that c02 inflater. Will be giving it another shot this weekend! happy wheeling, and be safe!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Without sounding like the novice that I am. What do the spacers do?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Mtncrazy, the spacers make your quad wider, by about 4 inches in total (2" per side).

This adjusts the centre of gravity and makes your quad more stable and less tipsy!

If you use after market rims they can do the same by having a differnt "offset"

Normal Griz rims are 4"/3" offset ie: the rim is 7" wide, the plate with the holes (to bolt onto the ATV) is in the position of the /.
So there are 4" on the inside of the wheel and 3" on the outside.

After market rims like ITP are 2" / 5" there for they would make your quad 2" wider on each side!

I hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Done a similiar thing when I first got my 05 Grizz...that sucks man...I hate to say it...but you'll have more problems later...my bearings wore out fast, steering problems...brakes...the flip caused a lot of surface damage such as gouges and scratches to plastic at first...but the other problems came within 6 months...

Dawn

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dawn, that sucks. I hope I don't have similiar issues.

I will post another thread about this, but I'm trying to decied, metal or aluminium rims. I think the aluminium rims have the extra offset. I can't seem to find metal with the extra offset as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Another great way to get a tire to re-seat, and fill with air is pour some gas around the bead of the tire and some in the tire. Then light and with some luck it will re-seat with a nice pop. Have used this a couple of times, and it seems to work great, just don't use too much gas.

·
Registered
141 Posts
actually starting fluid works better as you can spray it where you want it instead of pouring gas that kinda goes all over.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
hair sray woork good.works piss'a in potatoe guns

·
Registered
141 Posts
wow bob,you ok or just have a few to many?don't wory i have had a few to many too lol

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
piss'a in potatoe guns?? What the **** is that? And better yet how do you pronounce that? LOL. Man, you guy's start early! Or maybe wind it down late....Irv

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
you gota have a potatoe gun??

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
No guns in this house Bob, the rules on gun ownership in Canada are way different than in the states! I am not a hunter either so it is pointless to own one........Irv

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
irv a potato gun just launches pieces of potato activated by hair sray or wd40 people make there own versions and have contest for distance and target its pretty neet to see how for thay go

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was also going to recommend the starting fluid to reseat a tire, works wonders to pop them back ontothe rim.

As for the potato gun, I have one that works with hair spray, and I use a tazer to ignite it. I also have one that works off of compressed air. I installed a valve stem. just fill it with 125 lbs of air, rotate the valve, and watch out.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I've hunted with a lot of different weapons but never a potato gun. Maybe I'll try that on my bear hunt in September.
As long as nobody got hurt it was a good trip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts