Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a "Dalton" clutch....From what everyone says, it sounds like it will best suit me. 2006 stock grizz with 26" AMS Swamp Foxes.

1) How difficult is this to install...Yes I'm mechanically inclined.

2) How will this kit effect top end speed? It sounds like it will revive my low end performance, but I'm unsure on the top end.

3) Is this kit a durable kit that is trouble free?

4) If I need to do some "hard surface" riding and I put my stock tires back on, will the clutch kit adversely effect performance?

Thanks again, This is "Tractor Boy's" first real atv, and I'm more used to 40-60 year old 4500 to 12000 pound tractors....so these "little" guys are new to me.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Don't have one and have yet to take my clutch appart but for full install explanations and pictures go to WWW.Grizzhopper.com he just added a clutch install to his web page.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There are two different dalton clutch kits. one is for up to 26 inch tires and one is for 27 and up. Since I put 26 inch mudlites on I installed the first mentioned one. These are relatively easy to install. collapsing the spring is the hardest part. As far as top end speed, Yamaha speedo's are know to read faster than you are actually going. If you have a GPS check your speedo against it. Running the stock tires the Grizzly would read 65 and the GPS would be at 60, with the oversize tires the speedometer actual reads the same as the GPS. Bottom line is the clutch kit shouldn't effect your top end, and if you install oversize tires your speedometer may not read you are going as fast but it will be more accurate

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Nice looking Grizz tractorboy, those tires and rims look awesome on there! How is the ride? Sorry, I don't know anything about Grizz clutches yet. Good Luck....Irv

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Nice looking ride TB.

I heard the Dalton kits are pretty good, a few of the lads here are running them so I am sure you will get the answers you need.

Cheers Noel

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I don't know about the Dalton kit, but the EPI clutch does not come with a gasket. This has delayed the installation of my clutch. Doesn't look like I will be able to get it on before I head overseas again.
Make sure to plan ahead when buying a clutch kit and get the gasket.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Irv...as far as the ride.....well it does "wobble" a little at high speeds now, but the lugs on these tires are freakin huge! You feel the wobble at 30 and above on hard surface, I can run through the field and the terrain helps mask some of the problem at 40-45. On the road at 50 it starts smoothing out, but it will work you more than the stock tires.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You don't need the gasket for the dalton as it doesn't have the internal springs. The EPI does and that would be the kit that I would recommend. The internal spring gives you another 400 rpm before engaging the clutch thus acting kind of like a mild stall convertor. If you plan to run in alot of mud or sand this will help significantly to get the tires moving. It will also give you a better hole shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts