Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to get a Scrambler 500 in the spring so i stopped in to see the Polaris man today,and have a look at them,and the new Outlaw

to my disbelief,they had very few '06 models in,they had a Trail Blazer in,and what they did to that bike they outa be shot,but thats anouther story

when i bought my Grizz,i got an '05 model in May of '04,,,,here we are days from the new year,and Polaris hasnt stocked there dealers with the new models yet,,,whats up with that? (rhetorical)

i want the Scrammy pretty bad,but i might fall in love with that Outlaw,i think the price might set me off though,,,,dont know if i want to spend that much on a second bike,,,,but i did want to see how that orange looks on the Scrammy

·
Registered
113 Posts
My wife bought the 500 last summer, she just traded it offf for her own griz (sportsman addition). They are fast, light in the front end so easy to turn, but they lack ground clearance and hate h2o, last summer she had a good time trail riding in wyoming but had to drive arround the mud and go slowly through the stream crossing. They drive like a typical polaris, the power comes on slowly(this for me was bad I like the tork of the griz). the final straw for my wife was the fenders, you will get very dirty riding the scambler.

hope this helps

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your absolutly correct about everything you posted about it,,,,my best freinds ole lady bought one last Spring,and i got to ride it on several occasions,and fell in love with how sporty,and fast they were,all the while still having 4x4

my buddy took it for a spin the last snow ,and it did great,,,,would do better with some decent tread,but did doughnuts great,,,looked like a blast

one of the rides i took on it was because they both swore to me it wouldnt yank a wheel,,,,i adimatly disagreed,stating that couldnt be possible,,,they said proove it,,,,i did,,,,i cracked it while shifting my weight further back,and at first thought they were right,and just as i was going to let off the throttle,it wound up,,,popped up,,,,and tossed me off the back standing itself straight up on its back wheels,and the desert grab bar,,,,i thought it was coming all the way over on me so i jumped up to shove it away (not knowing it would stop on tires,and grab bar)and tore my knee pretty bad,,,lol,,,still screwed up,,,needs to be scoped,but i hate the knife

as far as the water issue,she too has to be "carefull",not avoid,but me and my bud see where the issue is,,,the vent for the tranny is too low,too far up front,and the opening is placed in a very bad direction,,,,if someone had designed it to catch water,they did an absolutly wonderful job,,,a piece of flex tube to redirect the cooling air to the tranny will solve this issue,,,,however the opening is a rectanglke shape,,,the hose is round,,,,hes i think a lil too lazy to deal with it,,,,but when i get mine it will be the first thing

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
forgot,,,

as far as the mud thing,,,,if its wet out,and i dont want to get slopped up,ill run the Grizz,,,to be honost usually i dont mind getting all slopped up,,,the endless trails start at my back yard so i dont have to worry about getting in my truck like that,,,,and mud is a ATV'rs freind in most cases,,,,we have a couple chicks that run with us that are the first ones getting all mudd'd up,,,,,somth'n about a hotty all full of mud

as far as the tranny,,,a clutch kit to get it to wind up faster will cure that,but i'll do exaust,intake,and jetting first to see if the more ponys will help it wind up faster,,,,that delay is what tore my knee up,,,,that and trying to do something on a bike i wasnt use to

i gotta run,the UPS guy just dropped off my new CPU,and my extra gig of ram,and i want to get to work on it,,,,i just put a new Radeon 9800 PRO 256 mb vid card in last night,,,hehehehe,,,,my winter project,,,,getting new 250 gig HD,,,,, sound card 7.1 surround,,,7.1 surround speakers,,,,and a 19" LCD monitor sometime this week too

oops,cant go yet,im downloading a GHOST program so i can swap C drive to my larger D drive,,,then make it the new C drive

·
Registered
113 Posts
Know what ya meen about getting dirty, We had minny spring here yesterday, off work so to the hills we went. much dirty fun was had by all. the pond melted so I had a good chance at trying the new mudlites. They did well. I think you would enjoy the scrambler.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Hoo,

I agree mate

",,,,,somth'n about a hotty all full of mud"

Gotta love that.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
701 Posts
A friend of mine rides a 500 scrambler and **** he's fast on that thing. But I could keep up with him on my Grizz. My father in law just picked up a used 400 scrambler for $2000 that looks brand new. Can't wait to take him on the trails with it. But I must say...an IRS sport quad like the outlaw is **** cool. For a second bike I'd rather have that. You already have a 4wd quad that can hang with the scrambler. Why not get a 2wd sport quad with IRS.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there are areas we ride that when we have "sport" bikes riding with us it causes problems,,,,either we have to avoid those trails,or we have to drag them through

id rather have the sportyness of the scrammy,and still not be a burden on the group

the dealer said he would go as low as $6,500 for the Outlaw,and $5,200 for the Scrambler,,,,i bet i could get it for $5,000 even ,if i walk in,and slap it on the counter,and say load it up

anouther thing to consider is the Outlaw is a brand new bike,,,,even further its the first sport bike of its kind,and i cant help to think that whoever buys it for the first few years,are going to working the kinks out of it for Polaris,,,thats just too much money to spend on a totally new bike

the Scrambler is a tested bike,,,,the only design flaw i can see is the air intaake for the tranny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts