Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

Scratches!

6K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  interceptor 
#1 ·
I've been making trails through tall weeds and briars with my new Blue Grizzly 660! The Briars or sticker bushes scratched the 2 front fenders with very small scratches. It just made me mad because I've only had it for about 2 weeks. Is there any way I can get rid of these small scratches? Like buffing it out, using paint thinner, gasoline or using GS-27 Scratch remover without messing up the Blue plastic.

#3 ·
Mater400 I know how you feel, I have had our for over a year now and still hate it. The only thing I do is use a can of Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish and that seems to do the best. Still can see them but what can you do. I know I caught a stick under my right rear fender last year and it bent the corner of the plastic by my foot. Now I have a light blue streak in it about two inches long where it bent it.

#4 ·
Don't worry about it, it is a quad after all. I am a fussy pr--ck as well but i bought it to have fun not worry about little scratches all the time! Mine is the Black S.E. model and they show up real easy. I use Plexus and it does a fair job, can be bought at most motor-cycle shops. Try Tire foam, it makes it shine up real good as well. Don't do what you thought you should do, you will just haze the plastic and make it look worse......Irv

#5 ·
Thanks for all the replys! After I washed it and dried it it looked a lot better.

#7 ·
Is that the Son Of A Gun Spray Cleaner for plastic, rubber and vinyl like for seats? It works great on ATV seats. Will it do anything to the shiny plastic? Will it help the small scratches?

#9 ·
Exactly why i went with camo. No scratches no matter how bad the brush gets.

#10 ·
But Camo is not as pretty but you can't see any scratches! That's a good thing.

#11 ·
But it's pretty hard doing covert operations with all that shiney bling bling.

#13 ·
I used three different levels of sandpaper until the scratch was level with the rest of the plastic(Basically gone) and then I used the finest wet sandpaper available for auto repair. After it was as polished as it could get I used a plastic polish and a car buffer and it came out pretty nice. It took a long time and it still wasnt perfect but in the end I started getting scratches every ride and I gave up.....just ride it and have fun...you could get hit by a car tomorrow and never ride again! Gerald

#14 ·
You bet, my wife puts a hit out on an emu and I have to set up a sniper position. You have to get from the shop to the garage without being detected. If they see the trailer hooked to the Grizzly with the bow mounted on the front they get a little panicky.

#18 ·
Who here thinks it's just an ATV. It's your baby and you have to keep it shiney at all costs.

#19 ·
Well when out in the trails I do use it and have fun with it, but when I get home the two machines get cleaned and ready for the next ride. For me I can't see spending that much money and putting it away for a week or so all dirty and not keeping it clean. Then again you should see how anal Im with my Explorer...lol :)

#20 ·
I myself abuse my ATV weather be trail riding,hunting, or muding to the max. I never worry about it being scratched, drity, or broken. But when I get it back home I clean, shine, inspect and maintain the ATV. It looks as close to new as I can get it when I'm done. Just so I can do it all over again.

Like Xtremegrizz said, its alot of coin not to take of.

To each his own!!

#21 ·
That's it, use it and abuse it then clean and baby it till the next time.

#22 ·
If I spent the time required to remove scratches from my wheeler, I would never have time to ride it , I know how you feel but it is like my truck, after I got it, the first couple of scratches pissed me off, but after that I got over it and I just use the piss out of them both , because that is why I got them, to use, not to show.

#23 ·
For me it is ride them like you want to (or as my young Fellas shirt said "ride it like you stole it" ) :). When I get home I break out the CT18 and silicone spray and the Bundy cans. I find the cleaning up as just another part of the ride and feel very relaxed a bit like a wind down (then again that could just be the Bundy hey)

Either way I reckon do what you like you paid for it. If you want to cut and buff every other trip thats fine by me and if you leave em dirty well thats OK too ;).

Cheers Noel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.