Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious at what mileage everyone checks/cleans their spark arrestors? I only have 650 KM's, it should be alright i guess? but i have read of guys cleaning them and was wondering what the schedule is for you guys?...Thanks, Irv

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
our riding season is so short where i live i clean mine once a year, just before spring.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
For where I can go riding and the amount I do I end up doing it about once a year also.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy's, i guess i will have a look come Febuary? What condition was your arrestor in when you cleaned it? Do they get very gummed up?....Irv

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PA, I suggest you leave it in unless you ride in nothing but desert/sandy areas? It is there to stop sparks from coming out causing a forest fire. I am sure if a fire did start and it was proven to come from an atv it would give the nay sayers an excuse to close a lot of riding areas. Leave it in please!...Irv

·
Registered
462 Posts
i cant see where cleaning it really matters to be honost,,,

when i tried to get through the bottomless pit with the Claws on i got stuck,,,,when i got out my bike was real quiet,,,,i had it burried to where the exaust was completely submerged in mud

at first i though i screwed something up,but soon realized it was mud in the muffler,,,,in no time the heat & pressure from the muffler had burned,and expelled everything to where it sounded like before,,,,,this took about 10 minutes of riding

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I never saw a need to clean the spark arrester either. Now that I have changed the pipe I guess it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
take out the spark arrestor, its just one of those restrictive california state regulations, so yamaha builds everything to satisfy them. dont worry you wont catch anything on fire, sparks are not going to magically jump out of your exhaust into dry grass. there is so much power hidden in these things you can get out really cheap or free.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Rhino, you're giving bad advise. Take your spark arrester out then rev your motor up in a dark place and you will see the sparks that come out. The sparks are red hot pieces of carbon that are breaking off from the exhaust and they can start a fire under the right conditions.

·
Registered
462 Posts
i have to agree with Starky,,,about 5 or 6 years ago we had several forest fires pop up,one of which came too close to my property for my comfort

i have 32 acres with 17 of them wooded,and at that time i had just recently made the last payment,and remember thinking "oh great,i finally get it paid for ,and now its going to look like i logged it without the money from the timber"

the fire Marshal came around talking to everyone,and asked if we were hunting,or 4 wheel,n,,,,i told him i dont deer hunt anymore,dont smoke,ichew tobacco,,,, my bike was in the yard,and he asked if he could have a look,he went right for the pipe

he later said they really have no way of telling what started them but it was one of 3 things,,,

hunter smoking,,although i dont know who deer hunts,and smokes

4 wheeler with an open pipe,everyone knows how many bikes we have every weekend around here so i figured that had to do with the visit

or it was started natural,,,a build up of dead leaves over time can act as compost creating heat,and under the right conditions can ignight spontaniously

you dont gain enough HP by removing the arrestor to chance being liable for burning down a forest,,,,if your dune riding i can see it,but even if you run the woods every now and then,it just isnt worth it

·
Registered
462 Posts
oh yea,,,,one positive thing came out of the fires,,,,the Fire Department blazed (pun intended) us a bunch of new trails making fire access roads,lol

to be honost,it didnt take as long for the woods to get back to normal again as i thought it would,there back to pretty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts