Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the group, been hanging out reading a lot but first post.

I am having a problem similar to BC's post here about stalling but a little different.

Was out riding yesterday and griz ran great for the first 2 hours or so and then it started to stall out at idle. Did not think anything of it, got it started back up after a minute and was on my way. We broke for lunch and it was fine once we started back up for about 10 minutes and then it started to backfire real bad and would lose power and then stall out. Put a new plug in and checked the air filter and that was fine. Also checked and there is fuel getting into the carb. If we stopped for about 5 minutes the griz would fire backup and run for about 5 mintues and then it would lose power and stall out. First time griz has acted up, just flipped 1000 miles. Bought the bike used, I have put about 250 miles on it. Not sure if the valves were every adjusted or not.

I did put some fuel in the griz before I left out of a can that was sitting for about 2 - 3 months or so. I was thinking about draining all of the fuel and see if that corrects the problem. If that does not do it should I get the valves adjusted?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Welcome NeoGrizz, I think you need to have the valves set!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: I was going to drain the fuel and replace it but I went out and the griz started right up. I let it sit at idle for about 5 minutes and then I rode it for about 15 minutes, never stalled out. It is backfiring a little bit when you let off the gas and the engine brake kicks in but it is not enough to stall out the bike.

Should I adjust the valves or is there something else I should be looking at?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I am not really sure if it is the valves or not? Only a 1000 miles? It could also be water in your fuel? I see you live in Ohio so I know you have temperature extremes like I do. Try some gas line anti-freeze first and see what happens? Also even if it is not the fuel be sure to keep the tank full and/or add some gas line anti-freeze every once in a while to help cut down on the condensation that accumulates in the tank. I haven't checked my valves yet but that doesn't mean they are not out? It just sounds too irratic to be valves to me? Are you driving through much water, mud or snow? It also could be a steam issue? Make sure you put some dielectric grease on all your electrical connections and sure your battery cables are tight....Irv

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd be willing to bet it is the valves.

I adjusted checked the valves on my '06 with only 220 miles (20 hours). (My father-in-law thought I was nuts, because the bike seemed to be running fine.) I am happy I did, the valves were well out of spec. I thought my Griz ran good and strong before adjusting the valves, I runs, idles and starts sooooo much better now. I was shocked, and a little disappointed that checking the valves is going to be a 'must do' maintenance on my Griz. (All my father-in-law does for his Polaris 700 is put gas in it and occasionally change the engine oil.)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I guess I had better check mine? It still starts right quick and runs great but maybe they are out? I have heard once they are adjusted a few times they stay good after that so need to worry Ernest. Give it some time and you will see that you picked the best quad! You will be putting less money into your Grizz than your father in-law will be putting into his Polaris...My 2cents....Irv

·
Registered
34 Posts
My money is on water in the gas and/or a fuel supply problem. i.e.- not getting enough gas to the carburator. After adding dry gas, I would drain some fuel from the float bowl (on the bottom of the carb). There should be a screw you open to drain gas out. Water can be trapped in the bowl and is sloshing up causing your stalling. If there is no sloshing it will run good. I doubt its valves. To check fuel supply, when it stalls quickly turn the fuel shutoff to off. Then drain the float bowl into a cup. If you get a pretty good amount, you're good. If you only get a little bit theres your problem. It wouldn't hurt to check your valves since you don't know if they were checked or not. They usually don't go out of specs after they've been adjusted for break in for quite some time. Only have 600 mi on mine though. (I've only had it since september) My valves are still holding good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you ride deep mud? If so check your vent line from the gas cap. If it plugged it will hyro lock the fuel tank and not let fuel to the carb. It is a common problem with our group of riders as we are in the mud all the time. The problem is that the vent hose is to long and sits in the uppper part of the tray under the fuel tank. Debris will collect in there and is drawn up the hose thus plugging it off. To fix this trim the hose so that it protrudes just past the plastic handle bar protector.

·
Registered
137 Posts
And how the hose is trimmed after I had the problem myself.

·
Registered
81 Posts
have you taken the carb off and apart? because you probably got crap in the carb/jets etc. and yes your valves are also probably out of adjustment.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
The back firing indicates a lean condition. Unless you have made some adjustment to cause the condition the problem is more than likly the intake valves. If it were water in the system it would cough and choke all the time. This doesn't seem to be the case. If your valves are tight it will probably start up and run when the motor is cold. as it heats up and the metal expands your valves will get tighter and cause the engine to stall. By running it this way you can be doing damage to your valves or the seats.
Check your valves first. If they turn out to be ok then check fuel and electrical.

·
Registered
81 Posts
starky- the running lean condition is maybe for the grizz but i know that with my 86 suzukiLT250EF the only time it stalls is when its really hot, and it only backfires when its getting low on fuel(starting to lean) or there's crap in the carb. i've never played with the air/fuel mixture screw on it and its running awesome. and i dont know enough about them yet to argue with you and win hehe, but thats just from my own experience, and i think experience is a helluva lot better than reading something and trying to remember what you read.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
All we do is give suggestions from our experience with the Grizzly. When you are low on fuel your machine doesn't run lean it just runs out of gas and dies. As you get low on gas it may start sputtering because the gas is sloshing around. If you know you have plenty of gas and it starts spitting and sputtering it could be that a piece of crap has gotten stuck in a jet but before I would tear into the carberator I would check the valves knowing that the Grizzly and Raptor have a tendancy for the intake valves to tighten up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know I'm a bit late adding any info here but it may help someone in the future.

My Wife's 04 would backfire and stall after 10-15 minutes of running regardless of speed or temperature. Eventually figured out that the gas cap vent tube was pinched under the handlebar cover. Found this out by cracking open the fuel cap when the problem happened and it went away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine did the same thing and after doing all the things i could think of it still sputtered and backfired. I finaly found it after a day or two. It was the rubber boot that connects the carb to the intake, it had a small split in it and it was sucking air. Change it out for about $40.00, been riding ever since.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I has a tear in the Carbs diaphram that cause a similar problem!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts