Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do you guys use the stock tires and wheels, when you replace what do you sugest? I dont want to change the size, I plow and have been told that bigger tires will rub when plowing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Get rid of them ASAP. They arent that good and they definitly dont look that great on the machine. I had mine off before i even picked it up from the dealer. I run 27" ITP 589s with C-series rims. I also plow with it. 60" Moose County plow. Never rubs. No need for tire chains either.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I put 4300 miles on the stock tires and wouldn't have changed them except the left front was worn quite a bit due to lots of riding on the shoulders of paved roads. If you are going to change tires look at all your options, I put a set of radials on mine on the stock wheels to keep my offset the same, but being that the radials were wider, I am now going to add the overfenders to help control the snow and mud from flying up on me. If you put taller tires on you may need to install a clutch kit. You can get radials in the stock size for your machine and I wouldn't replace tires with anything but radials, they ride better and offer more footprint due to the radial design. Several tire manufactures off them and you can get real nice looking tire and wheel packages if you have a mind to change the wheels also. Look at some of the threads on this site country griz just changes his and stayed with the stock size tires, looks awsome, I have the same tire on mine and am really impressed with them. Look at the thread new meats and have a look

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Radials are a huge improvement over stock. Junk the stock tires early if you can afford it. Stock tires are ok if you do not ride aggressive.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I still have mine(stockers) and I am actually surprised that they are holding up as good as they are? Everything that I have read says that once the aftermarket tires are on you will never know how you drove your quad with stockers? I have no experience yet with after market tires but when the time comes I am getting 26" Kenda Bear claws. Hoopharted's replies to my tire question sealed the deal for me! I am hoping the stockers wear out quick so I can justify the new ones. Hopefully soon?........Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Grizzinator,

What size are those Bighorns? 26" or 27"

Did you put on a lift kit? or Dalton Clutch?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What tire size would you sugest when upgrading, I use a 60" moose plow so dont want to go too big.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I put about a thousand mile on the stock tires on the 04 Griz. When we bought the 05 we put 26" Dirt Devils on both machines. What a differance. I knew the stock tires sucked but I didn't know how bad until we switched.
The stock tires load up with mud and don't clean worth a ****. They also have very soft sidewalls and are a big factor in the "tippy" feeling.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Sorry it took so long to reply there Beast. The Bighorns are 26" and no lift kit. I have a Dalton clutch kit on the way. I did notice a diffenence in the low end when I put on the tires so the clutch kit should help alot.The overfenders really help keeping off the mud also.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I need to change from stock to mudlite 26", should i buy 26-10-12 and 26-8-12
or should I buy wider tires ? If yes wich size do you recommend for front and rear ?

·
Registered
462 Posts
thats kinda a personal preferance question

·
Registered
462 Posts
hey Irv,,,,finally got to put the snow test to the Bear Claws,,,,they passed with flying colors,,,,i rode for about an hour,and a half in abut 8 inchs in 2 wheel drive

went up some decent hills in 2 wheel,but didnt try anything too exteme,,,,they did real well,and was able to do some doughnuts on the packed stuff,,had a blast

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have done alot of riding in the snow this year, and I can say the stock tires SUCK. On fresh trails I have to let my buddy bust through with his Polaris 700 or at least put it in 4wd. We are driving in about 12 inches of snow though.

The Grizz did get his day yesterday, my buddys Polaris got berried to the racks when he found a ditch. I had to pull him out with the winch after lots of digging.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For those who changed their stock to bigger tires (and are too many), which wide did you choose ? And after experience which do you recommend ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What advantages are there to going to 26". I have done a lot of riding with the stock tires and clearance has not been a problem, and the Aftermarket 25" tires will give me some extra clearance anyways. I hate to give up power when ground clearance is not a problem so far.

·
Registered
462 Posts
i went with 27-10-12's front,and 27-12-12's on the rears but i was getting my bike ready for some deep mud holes we have here that had swollowed every bike that had attempted them my bike with the Zillas on is the only bike that has made it through the deepest one,,,about a month ago i attempted it with the Claws,and it swollowed me up,,,,i had to get yarded out by a Polaris,,,,oh the shame,oh the shame Hoo

·
Registered
701 Posts
PAGrizz,

Everyone is different. I tried the 26" tire route, never had a problem bottoming out on the 25's and hated the power loss. Went back to 25" aftermarket tires, love the grip and return of power.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Thanks Hoo, glad to hear the bearclaws held up well in the snow! I am waiting until the Christmas bills come in to see if I can afford them? I am hoping big time that I can! Even kinda sorta got the OK from momma! Imagine that! She must be in the Christmas spirit LOL? I am going to go with 26's all around, 26-9-12 on the front and 26-12-12 on the rear. I heard the Bearclaws are not a true measurement, they come up about an inch short? So the 26'ers should be about the same height as my stockers? That is something to keep in mind Elie when getting new tires. Also it depends on the type of terrain you are riding on with regards to width, height and tread pattern . Do your home work and decide then. Good Luck........Irv

1 - 20 of 38 Posts