Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread about heated handgrips has gone off-topic about street legal ATVs, so I'm starting this thread specifically for it. Here's what I posted over there.

Doolin64 posted the question about what is required to make an ATV street legal, and this was my reply:

It's pretty easy... here in Montana, they want an electric horn and a mirror installed, along with a lighted license plate bracket. Most people don't have the lighted plate bracket, as many people simply rivet or screw the plate to the back plastic. I mounted the bracket but haven't wired up the light yet because I only want it to come on with the headlights... and Polaris has this thing where the taillights are illuminated all the time. I wanna rewire that too.

The horn installation was fairly easy, but sounds silly. The mirror proved to be a problem because (1) there isn't much room on my handlebars for more stuff and (2) I hate the mirrors that mount to the end of the handlebars because they stick out and can get whacked by trees and other stuff when you're riding trails. On top of that, none of those mirrors looked good or worked well, and the only handlebar-mount mirrors were chrome and stupid looking.

So I found a really nice looking mirror, made by Bombardier of all people, that was intended for use on the Outlander. It was designed to screw into the left brake lever pivot (sorta how handguards are usually mounted). Well, naturally, the bolt size wasn't the same, and besides, that was too permenent of a mount for me anyway. I wanted something that could be taken off and put on quickly. That's when I had an idea.

I use the RAM mount system for my GPS and two-way radios. I have two of the little "ball" RAM mounts on my handlebars, one on each side. The right side is for the GPS and the left side is for the radio mount. Since I rarely use the radio, the left one is usually open. So I mounted one of the ball mounts to the mirror and used the standard RAM screw clamp to attach it to the quad. I have two photos to show what I've done.

Rob

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the second photo.

On the Grizzly, I'll do it the same way, except the ball mount will be on the front rack because the ball mount on the handlebars is too low for the mirror to work well.

Rob

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My understanding, based on what I've read and what I was told by DMV, there are no limits. It's legal anywhere a regular car is. It's legal on trails in the national forest too, because I have a separate registration sticker for that.

The best part of all this is that the plates and stickers are PERMANENT -- there will never be a renewal charge. The total cost was $148, but that was both the plate and the sticker.

I know that in Arizona, where somebody I used to ride with registered his quad, he had to renew it yearly for something like $110.

What other states allow you to register ATVs to be street legal? Anybody know?

Rob

·
Registered
701 Posts
Well when I was in West Virginia, it was up to the towns and was allowed on the side of the road within certain towns. If there was no shoulder for you to ride on you could ride on the pavement, and I believe the maximum speed was 30mph. But when we were on pavement we road with the traffic speed. This was around teh Hattfield McCoy Trail system. I know where I live in Massachusetts you'd have your ass hauled off to jail for anything like this. Environmental Police will bust you for riding down the road to get from one trail to the next even when it's under the 500 feet you're allowed. This state is no fun for riding. We have 3 state parks and theres talk of closing two of them. Too many tree huggers here only want horses, hikers and mountain bikers.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm surprised they're even wanting mountain bikers. I'd suggest working with the mountain bike groups to be on your side to keep it open for everybody, because I guarantee that if they close 'em to motorized vehicles, mountain bikes will be next. The greenies don't want any kind of mechanical devices on "their" trails.

Rob

·
Registered
462 Posts
there is actually a street quad in the concept stage in Europe,the thing is wild looking,,,actually,i think its past the concept stage,and they have built the prototype

the artical went as far to say it would be awhile for the states to see the release of it

they said speeds up to 90 mph,electric driven,,,,using 4 electric motors,one for each wheel,single person vehical,it really looks futuristic

·
Registered
701 Posts
Rob, I'm surprised too, but the MTBikers can't stand us. They won't listen to reason. They sent a video of a quads going through a mudhole in the trail in a mass park to the state. The state closed that forest last year. We've tried to talk with them numerous times, but theres too many renegage wheelers for them to accept us. It's very frustrating. But we're not giving up.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Rob, do you have to switch to street tires or can you use your ATV Tires.
I think there is a big differance between allowing quads to use public roads and having a "street legal" quad. Most states allow you to ride on the street if you make all the changes which basically turns your quad into an open air car. That pretty much defeats the purpose of what we bought our quads for. They don't get any better gas milage than most cars so why would you want to do it unless you live in a state like Montana where you can keep it a quad with a few minor changes?

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have to change tires; the stock ones are just fine as far as Montana is concerned. I think it's stupid to have to make all those changes too. Just let 'em be registered just like the Dual Sport kits they have for dirt bikes. It's the exact same concept.

Still, if I get to riding it a lot, I plan to get a set of street wheels/tires for it to save wear on my trail tires.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I'm not sure what N. Dakota's rules are, but I'll have to check into it.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
As mentionned by Starky in a previous post, there is a hugh difference between a "street legal" ATV and it actually being legal to drive one on a city street. It is totally illegal to drive a ATV on a city street in the province of Quebec unless it is a sanctionned part of a trail that uses part of the road way (usually seen in rural towns - not cities). Other than that, you can cross a roadway for a maximum distance of 500 feet in order to get to a sanctionned trail).

As the ATV manufactuerers say, ATVs are not designed for roadways and have no business being on the roadways. I have to agree.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts