Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many of you "MUDDERS" have got to spend a lot of time drying out your Grizzly after a little over agressive water play.

Last summer I rode over a creek in the morning. And you guessed it, when we came back in the afternoon to go home the water was almost a foot higher from the days run off. Record snow falls and high tempatures had taken their toll.

I angled into the water. The current pushed me downstream. When I hit a boulder sideways the current flipped me over. Luckily there were some people to drag me and my wheeler out. Once I got back to shore the Grizzly would not start.

I have ridden Trial motorcycles for a long time but they are very basic machines. When this happens we just remove the sparkplug, turn the machine over, pump the starter a few times. Dry the plug, have lunch, replace the plug and ride the bike downhill until it starts.

The Grizzly is a car when compared to the the little trials motorcycles. The Grizzly battery would turn over the starter but the machine would not start. We removed the sparkplug, removed and dried the air filter element, stood the grizzly on its nose and pushed the starter. The starter pumped out a little water. We let it dry for a little while. Put in a new "DRY" sparkplug, and tried to start it again. Nothing. Remove the sparkplug agin, more starter engaging, more.... Finally we primed the engine and got it to start.

Once I got it started the transmission would not engage and run the Grizzly. Someone suggested that there might be water in the belt housing. We found the plug and drained the belt housing.

It took a while for everything to dry out while I was riding. When I got home I changed the engine oil, and serviced the air filter. Now, (500 miles later) everything seems to be OK with the Grizzly. Other than the $400.00 in replacement costs for items destroyed by water all is well.

Questions:

1. Is there something to better waterproof the grizzly? (This is a rare ocassion I don't want to add a snorkel)

2. Are there better ways to "DRY OUT" the Grizzly after a swimming event?

3. After a nice bath should there be more maintenance done other than changing the oil and servicing the air filter?

4. Are there better more insiteful ways of cursing at a Grizzly when it won't start? I have spent most of my time cursing Trial Motorcycles.

·
Registered
462 Posts
when i pressure wash mine,i have to let it sit for a half an hour to be able to start it,,,,dont ask me why,i cant figure it out

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I would have stood it on it's tail instead of the nose. You probably had a lot of water in the exhaust pipe still.
I've drowned a lot of motorcycles but never a quad. I know the one thing you DON'T want to do is try starting it without draining the cylinder. If you have water in the cylinder the preasure can really tear stuff up. Also, drain your carberator.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
DGR a snorkle wouldn't have helped you out in that situation anyway. A buddy of mine drowned his grizz in a river when we were cleaning them up. He was standing on it to keep his head above water! After we winched it out we stood it on it's back rack to empty the exhaust and pulled the spark plug and clutch plug at the same time cause it was easyer to access this way. The air box lid came off and was drained also. Then we pulled it over a bunch of times with the rope to empty the cylinder and took a lighter to the spark plug before putting it buck in. Put it back on its wheels, drained the carb, checked the oil and hit the starter. Within 5 seconds it sputtered to life. Wring out the air filter put it on and drove around with the clutch plug out for a bit. We were on the road within 20 minutes of drowning it. The oil was a little bit waterlogged but home was cloose.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I never go in too deep of mud/water. Maybe a little over the tires is the deepest. But I've never had it stall out or start hard because of water even after power washing. It's always turned right over no problem. I did put di-electric grease on all the connections too.

·
Registered
462 Posts
ive had mine burried in mud,and water up to the edge of the seat,with,and without the lift kit,and have never had issues with keeping the engine running but once,i hit the creek a little hard,and it sputtered,but i was able to nurse it through

but the pressure washer hits something the Grizz doesnt like everytime,and i cant figure out what it is to avoid

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I did that last Sunday. I muddin for quite a while then I went through a small water hole...SPLASH...sputter...KAPUT! I sat there for nearly 20 minutes and it didn't want to start...that sucks. Thank goodness I wasn't near a mud hole for them to toss mud on me...LOL!

Any solutions? I thought it was vapor lock??? I couldn't really tell you, but it sucks!

Dawn

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Dawn, it was probably steam. Sometimes just taking the airbox lid off will fix it or you can give it a small shot of starting fluid.

Hoo, have you tried washing it while its running. Maybe you'll hit that spot and it will die.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts