Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i've put another hole in my finger from my steel winch cable. i'm thinking this is the last time. i know some of you out there have that new plasma rope, whats your thoughts? do i need the billet fairlead or will my roller one do? the manufacture says not to use a roller and yet Warn's new 3000xt limited edition winch comes with synthetic and a Roller fairlead. Who's wrong?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have heard good things about the plasma rope but you can't use a roller fairlead, the rope, when strecthed out can get caught between the rollers and rip or tear the rope or get pinched so bad that you can't move it in or out? There is a new fairlead out which is all smooth aluminum, it will stopped the rope from getting stuck and tore. The others things i have heard is that you have to be very careful that you rope is not rubbing against a rock or branches when you are winching or else you will cut it very easy? They are definately safer and you can also get a lot more lenght on your winch as apposed to the steel cable but they may just not be for everyone? Good luck....Irv

·
Registered
462 Posts
what are the strength comparisons to the steel cable,,,,the thought of switching crossed my mind once or twice,but ive never got serious about researching info on it yet

i did just learn something about the fairlead,i never knew that

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
3/16" rope @ 50' is good for 6000 lbs if i remember and 1/4" @ 50' is rated at 9000 lbs. ( rolling weight ) basically it exceeds the pulling power of the winch.

or just check out this site

http://www.masterpull.com/results.cfm?catid=369

i bought the 1/4" rope, 50' is a lot of rope but it will fit around the drum and it was about a 1/2 hour install. i would use this rope for tying my qamutik(s)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I haven't really heard anything negative about the synthetic ropes. Actually I believe the truck 4x4 events require synthetic be used nowadays.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"QAMATIK" what?
the stuff i was looking at has a 4' length of protective hose that slides up and down the rope to place in areas where maybe you have to pullover rocks or or stumps. Irv i know you say no roller fairleads and i've read that before it just doesn't make sense that Warn use it with this rope. what are you guys paying for this stuff? i've found it on ebay for $49(usd) for a 50' x 3/16 but out here in canada the only one i can find is one from Ramsey for $189(can). Ebay's looking pretty good right now.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I use Plasma rope on my winch with a roller fairlead and when I use it I just try to be carefull that the rope does not get stuck or pinched in between the rollers. I myself some day want to get a aluminum one but just have not got around to ordering one other than that so far I have been vary pleased with the results of it.

Mike

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I use synthetic winch rope, the breakstrain is 2.5 times higher than steel cable for the same diameter. This means I could put twice the length on (30m).

Also, steel cable has to be wound on tight onto the drum inorder to work( not pinch lower coils), this is not an issue with synthetic,

A few plusses are: It wont kill you if it snaps! and you can just tie a knot in it.

You can use ordinary riding gloves when winching!

Locally (South Africa) it is much cheaper than USA (100ft +/- $60). It is not plasma rope but a type of nylon rope that they use on Tug-Boats!

I use a roller fairlead, at our local riding club, I do all the recoveries, so I use my winch most weekends! and I have never had a problem with the new rope.

This is the suppliers web page: http://www.mr-recovery.co.za/

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
It seems like a lot of work and money for a problem that can be solved with a good pair of leather gloves.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
They are much safer if they snap Starky, a steel cable can kill you when it snaps but the synthetic rope just falls to the ground when it breaks. I am thinking about replacing mine mainly because my young lad is with me most of the time, that is plenty reason for me to replace mine.....Irv

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yup...I agree IRM. THe synthetic rope is worth it my opinion. I have two of them now. A 50 footer I use for riding with an aluminum hawse fairlead. And and an 8ft one I use for plowing with a roller fairlead. Safer lighter and stronger. Much better than frayed, twisted, and weaker steel wire.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
starky,

once the rope is in your hand you will feel the difference.

off subject,
a qamutik is a wooden sled we pull behind our snow machines it's held together with rope for flexibility, the box is the only thing screwed together.

·
Registered
462 Posts
im sold,2 1/2 times stronger than that nasty steel cable? sign me up

Beast is absolutly right,,,if you dont wind that steel cable back on the spool perfect,and tight it pinchs,and then binds the winch,,,it sux

to be honost,i would have figured the plasma would backlash worse than the steel if it broke,because i invisioned the plasma having some elasticity to it,where the steel cable doesnt,,,i guess i figured it would be like a rubber band

they showed us a movie in the Navy about what the mooring lines do when the break from over stress,,,they sing,then snap,and they can clear a steel deck clean

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
You guys have some very good points. I'll keep an eye on my cable and if it ever needs to be replaced I'll consider the rope.
I think the Superwinch on my old Honda Fourtrax had about 10 years on it and it was used pretty hard. I had a few broken strands but nothing that ever required replacing.
I did get a few cuts and if I had the money at the time I probably would have bought the rope.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I just can't immagine a 2,500# winch being able to exert enough pull to break that cable. Has anyone ever seen an ATV winch cable actually break?

·
Registered
462 Posts
i have to say i agree Starky,,,as long as your not letting the cable get so bad that its dangerous to begin with,i cant see that winch snapping it,,,,but the coveniance of not having to rewind that cable perfectly everytime is the selling point to me

i dread having to pull someone out,because i know i got to respool it

how many years is the life of the rope,,,,i know nylon dry rots,,,whats the life span

·
Registered
701 Posts
A cable that is in excellent shape would never break under a 2500lb winch. It's when you start getting hte kinks in it and the line is frayed, or your winching over a rock and it's wearing away the cable.

·
Registered
462 Posts
your not going to be winching over a rock with the synthetic either,,,if it wasnt such a pain respooling the cable,i wouldnt consider the plasma,but if its that easy to respool,i cant pass it up

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I've had a lot of experience with climbing rope and just getting dirt in it can start cutting the nylon fibers. I know the winch rope is probably more durable than a climbing rope, but nylon is nylon, there is a lot of stuff that will cause it to break down.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Hi Lads,

I have the amasteel plasma rope, it is every bit as good as the boys have said. On the nylon, I think it is more like the super braid fishing lines (dyneema?).

Cheers Noel

1 - 20 of 21 Posts