Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have just bought a Warn 3.0ci winch for the Blue Meanie, it was a toss-up between the winch and a set of ITP Type 6 rims and Maxxis Big horns. I figured that the winch will serve me better given the remote places that I ride.

My reason for the post is that I am thinking about upgrading to a plasma rope. I was hoping to get some feedback on what size I should fit and is there a better or worse brand to look for. I had a look on the web and it seems that they have exceptional breakimg strain, does this mean that I can go down is size or not?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hi Noel,
this is short post, I am surfing on my iPAQ pocket PC, I have the same winch as you, with 30m (double the length) synthetic cable. I love it, see my previous posts,cheers Saul

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I have a Super Winch 2500 and just switched over to the synthetic rope over the winter. I have not had a chance to try it yet but just from installing it it was a big difference in just how it felt.

I know i have read in other places they say you are not supposed to use a roller fairlead with the synthetic stuff because it can get hung up in between the rollers but if you be carefull it can be done.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm also running a synthetic rope. It's lighter, stronger, and safer. Plus my steel cable broke. It was an easy decision for me. I think you'll be pleased with a synthetic (plasma) winch rope. I went with Amsteel Blue Synthetic Rope. I bought mine from www.okoffroad.com

·
Registered
18 Posts
the story about not using a roller fairlead on the synthetic rope is not true. If it was, why do they come sold as a package. I know this because a buddy bought the rope and gave me the new roller that it came with since mine did not come with one.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I use a Roller Fairlead with synthetic and I have never had it snag up!

·
Registered
42 Posts
We do a lot of extreme crawling and do tend to fray cables. We have found that when pulling up ledges or over rocks that the cables last longer as the ropes do get cut when dragging over rocks. Our club is sticking to the cables but all agree that if it wasn't for winching over rocks that the rope would be the way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts