Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
decided to install a temp guage,,,,, it worked out pretty good,,,, i said in another post on here somewhere that it idled at 180,,, i didnt have my old person reading glasses on,,, it will idle around 160 and get to about 185 when riding,,,,,, would like to hear some input on what temp. other are seeing their machines run at,,,,, it is around 98 degress here when i was getting these temps,,,,, thanks,,,,,,, ,,,,,, ,,,,,, ,,,,, cg

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
That looks pretty good. Did it come with that plate or did you make it? What's it look like on the other side of the fender. Is there any way the tire could hit it if you hit a hard bump.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the plate is just 22guage metal,,,, the plasma cutter cuts it like an x-acto knife,,,, I will post a pic of the other side tomorrow,,, i think for the tire to hit it you would have to hit a tree or semi first,,,,, ,,,, ,,,,, ,, cg

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nice guage, I have the electrical version and mounted it in the flat spot behind the shifter next to the gas tank. Temperature seems to vary allot and it depends on the outside temperature also. Generally mine runs between 160 and 180.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I saw one on Ebay for $90. Is that about what they run?

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dknarnd,, thanks for the temp reading,,, that is about what mine runs,,,havent rode it enough to know if it varys much, so far it doesnt,,,this one is also the electrical,,I found it on ebay and called the guy,, I think they have four different ones, he said they had had trouble with the mechanical ones breaking the capulary tube off on sport quards but not on utilities,,, it is also backlit, works great at night,,,,,,,I think a guy could go the the auto parts store and get a tee to go in the water hose like this has and the buy a guage and get setup a lot cheaper,,,this was about 90.00,,,, seems a little high for a guage, but pretty cheap for knowing the engine temp,,,, still working on the under fender pic starky,,,,,,,, ,,,,,, ,,,,,, cg

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Looks good CG I need to do something like that to mine.

Mike

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thought while I was at it I would add a pic of the sending unit,, I think the hardest thing about putting it in was getting to the radiator cap,,,, not sure why there is no easy access to it,,,,, ,,,, ,,,,, ,,,, cg

·
Registered
339 Posts
JTATV is the manufacturer of that unit. My first one leaked out of the sending unit installed in the tee but they replaced it right away. My unit does not have the backlight but has more number graduations on the display. It has been installed for over a year now and works great.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Great pics CG, I can see a run on temp guages coming up.

Jersey, I bought a set of AD Boivin tracks. Right now they are still in the boxes. When I get home in Sept. I'll put them on and take a group of pics.
I'm looking forward to using them. You're supposed to be able to maintain close to normal speed and fuel milage.

We also have in-line water heaters on our Grizzlies so we can get them started when it's -20.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
CG, once you have established your normal operating temp range you should switch to Engine Ice and see if it brings down the temp at all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here some pics of the Highlifter temp gauge I added to my Grizzly 660. As I don't use the front rack, I simply installed mine in one of the empty attachment wells. It can easily be removed if I ever decide to buy that new Grizzly 700.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is view from the side. The highlifter gauge came with a pod that surrounds the gauge for a finished look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts