Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I was out wheeling and I came across another Grizzly rider. Only there was something wrong. My legs were covered with mud and his were dry. We had ridden the same trail to get to were I met him. I asked what he had done differently. He smiled and said, "MUD FLAPS." I looked down and sure enough there they were big as life and they worked wonderfully. I have never put mud flaps on anything in my life. (I am sure that I had considered having mud flaps just to put crome naked ladies on them...but I don't remember the day or the bar I was in at the time!)

The mud flaps were fabricated to the size of the flaps on my wife's Honda Rubicon. I used the same specifications as on the Rubicon. The flaps hang down 5" from the running board. That leave a total of 7" clearance from the bottom of the mud flap to the ground.

The other Grizzly owner had made his out of truck bed liner material. I made mine out of a large truck mud flap cut in half. The original flap cost $8.99 at my local farm supply store. The original flap was 23 1/2" wide and 30 1/4" long. When I cut mine down each flap was 1/2 of the flap wide 11 3/4" wide, and I cut them to 18" long.

To hang the flaps I put a total of 6 1/4" bolts throught each flap to hold it on. The bolts had nylon lock nuts on them and a 1 1/4" fender washer to hold the flaps in place. (I always wanted to use a fender washer on a fender!) The top 3 bolts were 1" long and the bottom three being 3/4" long. I utilized two of the holes that already existed in the Grizzly. I replaced the two bolts that held the upper fender and the lower fender on the front fenders of the Grizzly together. I put the bolt throught the fender parts and then through the flap. (Center one first.) By holding a 2X4 behind the flap and drilling throught the flap and into the wood it was much easier to drill the flap, keep the hole in the correct position, and save my fingers. I prepainted the bolts so they look like the originals on the wheeler. I painted the bolts inside the fender by making a paint shield with a 1" hole and spraying them after installation. I also siliconed the mud flaps to the fenders to try and keep the rocks out. (I installed the overfenders the same day. I had ordered them before I saw the mud flaps.) I rounded the corners on the flaps by cutting them first with a scroll saw and finishing the corner with a disk sander. (Practice on the scrap pieces. I found this on my 4th try.

I just got the mud flaps installed and have not had a chance to use them on my wheeler. I saw how great they worked on the other Grizzly and how much they help on the Rubicon and am confident they will be a real asset in the years to come. Thaks to all of you for your great advice and help.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I did the same thing quite a while back,,, I think it was after the first mudhole I figured something had to be done,,,,, here are a few pics,,,,

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Great idea guy's and excellent pics! I may just have to do that myself but the young lad likes getting muddy! Maybe I will wait a while. I have the over fenders on order so I will wait and see what the young lad thinks of those?...Irv

·
Registered
339 Posts
No problem with the overfenders on and I only installed the rear because that is where most of the mud comes from. Those flaps probably work well for most riders but I would be afraid of tearing them off on brush, stones or logs.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Great pictures and a very good idea. As far as overfenders go, they don't do squat to keep the mud from getting thrown from your front tire to the rear fender.
Another good idea is to extend your floor boards and there are a couple threads on that as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a little update on the mud flaps.

My brother and I went riding on my brother-in-laws ranch last weekend. All of a sudden my brother takes off the main trail going 20 miles an hour chasing this big jack rabbit. I follow him breaking off sagebrush, juniper tree branches with berries going everywhere, and going through some ugly stuff. (Like my brother-in-law does when he is chasing his cows) (PS you enviro-MENTAL-ists can settle down now it was on private land)

When we got to the bottom of the canyon we both had twigs and berries all over including our nether regions. I asked my brother, "What in the **** were you trying to do?"

He smiled and said with a smirk, "Tryin to rip off those new mud flaps."

The good news...the mud flaps passed the test they are still there. Kept the mud off of my pants, legs, and off of the running boards.

Anybody have any suggestions to keep berries out of your nether regions?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts