Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the front diff has a different gear ratio than the rear?
I just got a new set of ITP XTRs to put on the Grizz. The front tires are 3 inches taller than the rear. Must be different diff ratios or it wouldn't run in 4wd.
Also I can't break the F-un beads loose. Any helpfull tips. Even driving over the tire with a 4x4F250 didn't F-un help a F-un thing.
Now I'm a little F-un frustrated.
And my buddy just drank my last beer.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Bevergriz, when all else fails take it to the "tyre shop" and let them change it whilst you go to the pub for a beer!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
The beads are a BIATCH!!!! I had the same problem. I used my buddies old-style tire machine and just bent a rim. I got them all but with major problems. I'd suggest taking them to a tire shop with the new style machines with seperate bead breaker and ask them to just break all the beads. They probably won't charge you (as long as it isnt a major chain) and the tires come off and on pretty easily. Make sure to let the new tires sit INSIDE to warm them up cause you can have problems trying to seat the beads when it's this cold out. I had to use starting fluid and a match to seat one of the beads! Plus mounting them yourself can save you problems, I took my front tires to a chain store and the moron kid inflated the one tire to 35 PSI!!!! I about killed him.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I'm going to have to take the beast approach on this one,,,, sounds like a good chance to hit the local watering hole,,,,, I ordered mine already mounted,,, but back in the old days when I rode a honda three wheeler I had a homemade bead breaker,,, didnt work too good but got the job done,,,, I also used to use the match and starting fluid approach to seat the bead,,, have even sprayed the tire full of starting fluid then draged a cutting torch across the floor in ft. of it untill it blew,, makes for some good noise,,,,, now I have a homemade tire seater,,,I haven't tried it on quad tires but I know it would work,, it works great on car tires and truck tires,,,just fill the air tank,,,, then hold the end of the tube up about a quarter inch from the bead and turn the valve down,,,, instant tire mount,,, and there is no danger of it blowing because once it gets enough air to seat no more gets in,,,,, ,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, cg

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, update.
I took the stock tires to LesSchwabs and they took them off the stock rims for FREE. I then took them home and used my favorite YAMAHA TIRE MOUNT LUBE to slip the new tires on the stock rims in about 5 minutes!!

Saved me $40 and took less than an *****.

I said earlier that the front tires were taller than the rear I was talking about the STOCK tires. The IPTs are the same height front to rear.

I am very happy with the XTRs, It pulls wheelies easier now than it did with the stock tires.

I just Thrashed the gravel alley behind my shop.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Beaver, you hired a ***** to mount your tires? Dude, you are missing the whole concept behind prostitution.

CG, I'm afraid to ask what else that thing does. Can you run it in reverse?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ment Hour. But If I could find a PRO to do it for me I wouldn't need to do it my self.

CG does that blue tool of yours take the place of a Pro?

·
Registered
339 Posts
To break the bead I set a plank on the edge of the tire just shy of the wheel and drive a vehicle up the plank.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DKNARDs. That is what I tried with the F250. The stock tires would NOT break loose for me.

All's well that ends well. Project done!!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I have found that if you are going to try and do it yourself without the help of a bead breaker it is best to use a sledge hammer and smash the rim into pieces.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
bev if some buddy drank my last beer those tires would be off using is head.cg cant beleive dawn hasn't commented on that pic of the blue colored sat. nite date yet

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
If you cut the fingertips off a rubber glove and duck tape it to the end of that thing Dawn may be more interested.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How many fingers do you think that might take?

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Oh wow...just by chance I checked out a "legit" topic...and what do you know...it's gone bad.

I was honestly thinking he hired the ***** to mount his tires...shouldn't he haved hired the ***** to mount...oh anyways...

The blue toy thing is scary...I'd run from that...LOL!

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I found this in an email today and it really applies to all my grizzlyowners buddies....

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
You're just a bad influence on us Dawn.......and we love it.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Everyone has told me that I'm a bad influence and I ruin their reputations...but who cares...right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts