Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to upgrade my tires, even though I only have 200 miles on my Grizzly.

Here are my specific needs:
I do a lot of snow riding/plowing (60" Moose Plow)
I am a big guy so want little or no power loss
I put my Griz in the back of my Truck, and now it fits between the wheel wells and with tailgate closed but touching the back tires. I dont want to have to ride with Tailgate down.

Should I go with the 25" Mudlites? I may have an inch or so to spare in the bed of my truck.

Are the Mudlites and all the aftermarket tires radials?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Myself, I am going to go with Kenda Bear Claws when the time comes, I have asked about them on numerous forums and I haven't heard a single bad thing about them. They are not a mud tire but are way better than stockers! They are suppose to last forever also. The Mudlites are a good tire but they wear to fast most people say. Another good tire which is a very close second choice is the Mudbug(Maxxis) They are a better mud tire and last a good while as well, Both tires are suppose to be really good in the snow. Another thing to remember with some tires is that you can get a more aggressive tread pattern when you go up a size? 26" Bearclaws are not as aggressive as the 27" Bearclaws. Most tires are not Radials unless specified. This is a tough decision I know, I have been researching this for a long time and then some!! It basically boils down to a personal choice? Read up about tires on various forums and see what others are using for tires that apply to your needs.. Good Luck......Irv

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Irv, I too have been trying to decide, I also need to consider the way I haul my Grizz, in the bed of my truck not sure if I can go up in size or not.

·
Registered
462 Posts
if your that tight already,and go to a large lug tire,you may not be able to close the tailgate anymore anyway

in all honosty,whether or not your able to close the tailgate (in my humble opinion)shouldnt be the deciding factor in your tire choice,,,,the aftermarket tire's are not cheap,and you still have to add mounting costs to that as well

for 12 dollars you can get a nice set of "pull" tie downs that will secure the bike so it wont budge at all,,,,,i say the "pull" type,because ive had bad luck with the ratchet type in the past lasting

i leave my straps in the bed year round,already hooked to the brackets so all i have to do is grab,fasten,and tighten what ever i place in the bed,,,,,ive been using the same pull type set for over 3 years now,and they still work perfect,and have been out,in the bed,in the elements the intire time

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
How about leaving your tailgate down and getting one of those bed extenders.
Also, if you're going to secure your machine to the front of your bed try putting an old tire in between the quad and the front wall. It gives you a cushion to sinch up to so you don't bend the front wall of the bed and it protects the window as well.

·
Registered
701 Posts
From all the riding I've done this year between West Virginia and the northeast, my reccomendation is 25" Maxxis Bighorns, I have ITP atrs, I had MST's, I ride with guys who run 589's and mudlights. And from what I've seen the best all around tire and for puncture resistance is the Bighorns. They will no doubt be my next tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts