Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm getting real close to purchasing my new meats. Can anyone steer me in the right direction as far as size goes? I'm sure someone has had 27" mud lites at one time or another. Do the fronts rub anything? At anytime? My winch hangs out there quite a bit, but, clears my stock tires by a mile. If they can be used w/o modification, I will go 27". Otherwise 26" will do. Any advice would be great! (b.t.w. what does everyone think about mud lites?) thanx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mudlites are fantastic tires, although I have 27" Radial Outlaws on my Grizzly right now. My 27" front tires do not rub anywhere, but they are mounted on C-series wheels, which have 2" more offset than the stock wheels. Too bad my Outlaw Radials are dinosaurs (extinct), because they were great tires in their day. I'm in the market for new tires right now also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 27" 589's on C series. They do not rub on anything. Plenty of clearance. I have Mudlites on my Fourtrax, but in stock size. They are a great tire, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, smokeboater. But, as outerlimit mentioned, the c-series has a different offset than stock wheels. I wonder if the stockers (which I would like to use) would force the 27" lites to rub. Are your 589's titans or itp? Do you have any drivetrain problems? (axles, belt slippage, etc.) thanx!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bluegrizz,
Even with stock wheels, I don't think you would have a clearance problem with 27's. My tires are the ITP 589's. I also adjusted the shocks in the rear up to the 4th notch. Notch number 3 in the front. Reset the toe-in to zero. It steers like power steering now. About the only thing I haven't done to date, is pull the swaybar off.
The Grizz is such an awesome bike with it's power, that this old fart(57) did not mind losing a little on the bottom end. It still has a ton! No problems with the drivetrain or anything else to date. I love this thing!
I know the choices are tough when it comes to tires, there are so **** many out there. I have a Forman that will be getting 26" Mudlites this year also. Great traction, smooth ride. I don't think you will be sorry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have any of you guys tryed the super swampers,thay are a good tire mud,snow, rocks,what ever you want to put it in,it is a all around good tire.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I heard nothing but good things about mud lites except that they wear quicker than many other tires

·
Registered
43 Posts
funny, your in the same shoes that i was in about a month ago. i was planning on getting the 27" mud lites, but i was told that they wear faster than most big lug tires.

we do quite a bit of old railroad bed trail riding, so i wanted a fairly durable tire.

check out xtreme products, they have lift kits that are not that pricy.

tough call, let us know what you do..

michael

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
i run 28" titans and have had very little rubbing on the fenders even with a wheel spacer kit, howener you might want to look into a big tire clutch kit to maintain your low end power.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Little off topic here but Steve I see in you sig you have the Kimpex Fender Protectors. Would you happen to have a pic of them and how they mount near the foor board. Been thinking of getting them but trying to find a pic of how they go to the floor board. Saw some that look like they go throug and saw some that go on the outside of the floor board just not sure what the grizzly one does.

Mike

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
kimpex fender protectors pics

·
Registered
27 Posts
I run 27" mudlites on my 02grizz 10x10 all around the with stock rims the front tires do rub on my a-arm when turned all the way and have ripped my radiator coolent cover off and had to replace it, i just learned not to cut the tire all the way....real good tire though i have 900miles on them now and hardly any wear at all. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I have the 26" Dirt Devils on both Grizzlies. I can't see any reason to go another inch bigger unless I was going to put a lift kit on it and set it up for serious mud bogging with snorkels and the whole works.
That extra inch is going to take a lot of power away. I should really put a clutch kit on with the 26ers, but I would think you will deffinately have to with the 27's.
Top speed on the guage is 59 mph. I didn't get a chance to check it with the GPS.
With my tracks on just the back I can go 64 mph but once again it isn't checked with GPS.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I run 27" BearClaws on stock rims, no problems in the front or in the back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i've just put 26" mud lites on my grizz, awsome tire, works very well, no nticeable lose of power. A friend of mine also ha smud lites, probably around 2100 km's still has very good tread left, he also plows in the winter,no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Does anybody get their tire and wheels balanced. I noticed I have some shake on both Grizzlies with the 26" Dirt Devils. Did anybody else get some shake with the bigger tires?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 27" XL mudlites 9" front,10" rear.no rubbing at all.I also installed the epi clutch kit for 26-27" tires.I like the kit alot but my top speed went from 66 to 53.Its still more speed than i can use where i ride

1 - 20 of 29 Posts