Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
asking your opinion. I'm picking up my grizzly tomorrow and I want to install new tires on it. I've been looking at mud lites, dirt devils and bear claws, do any of you have these tires on and how do they ride. I ride Trails, creaks,and some mud and work around the house. Your opinion would be great Thank

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Coach0, I think those tires are on more than just a few quads in here, Read some posts and decide. I just purchased some used 589's and I am really happy with them but they might be a little hard on your lawn/property? I would go with the Bearclaws or dirtdevils myself, they are suppose to be great wearing tires where as the Mudlites wear to quick. Good Luck.......Irv

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
CoachO, I'm not using any of those tires and not knocking any of them either. Just want to give you something to think about when it comes to widths of tires. My 589's are pushing 2800kms and the rears are showing a whole lot more wear than the fronts. (lots of spinning, messing around in 2wd) My fronts are 9" wide and backs 11" wide so rotating is out of the question. Next time I'll buy 9" or 10" all around so I can rotate. Just my own opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Coach, you won't be disapointed with any of those tires. The Mudlights used to wear pretty fast but I think they are using a little harder compound now.
Just remember, the Grizzlies power is significantly effected by tire size. You can get away with 26s and not install a clutch kit but you will feel the differance. Anything bigger than 26 and you will definately need a clutch kit unless you like riding around in low gear a lot.

·
Registered
144 Posts
3 weeks ago I slapped on a set of ITP XTRs in 26-9 front and 26-11 rear. Since, I have rode it on groomed snomobile trails, crusty snow that was 3-4 foot deep, pushed snow 1.5 feet deep on a frozen lake and did hill climbing on a layer of snow, on a layer of mud, with frozen ground undernieth.
I think all the hype about taller tires is B.S.
The reason the Grizz seems like it doesn't rev as quick is do to the fact that with these tires it hooks up and goes like the proverbial bat out of ****. On saturday I was hill climbing with a buddy that has stock tires on his Kodiak, I was in 2wd and he was in 4 LOCK!! His comment was I'ME SOLD!!

As Irv says they will trash your sod even taking it easy.

I'me not waisting my money on a clutch kit any time soon. I hunt off of this machine and I don't want it putting around at 4000 RPM.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Here the Grizz plowing snow with the XTRs on a frozen lake with no chains or Kold Kutters. I was simply amazzed!

And this is why we were plowing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ok here the plow picture

·
Registered
113 Posts
Coach I have no complants with my XTRs. I like the ride and handling of the 14" type 7 rims. (they look great as well) The set off of the rims widens you stace and adds stability When you increase your ground clearance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
coach0; I've had different sizes of Bear Claws and now have the XTR's and like them both. I have some tire comparison pics in my URL at the bottom. Check them out.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Beaver, if you measure your 26" XTRs to the stock 25" tires you will see that they are very close to the same size so you won't feel a lot of differance. You really notice the differance when you change tires when you can ride on dry flat ground. At least I did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts