Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new to this site and have a question. First off i am a Griz owner of a '03 and i love it. I also own a '01 Zuk 500 Quadmaster also a good tough quad.
My question is tires for my Griz. I want to know if any one knows the tread height of the kenda bear claws(in 25") I am torn between them or the mudlite XL(in 26") or the 589's (in 25"). Weight is somewhat of a concern. I mostly like to rock crawl(45%), trail ride(40%), and snowride(15%). I would like a good tough aggressive tire that won't beat me up on hard pack trails. I ride hard and i can take some tire rumble but i dont want to pay big bucks on tires that don't ride or wear well. The stock rubber on now is wearing down and they aren't good tires any way. The Griz has been rejetted for higher altitude. I also will be doing a clutch and pipe up-grade to gain some low and middle torque.

·
Registered
81 Posts
not this weekend that just past but the weekend before that, i saw a 05 brute force with the 589's and i was impressed. he was still able to spin the aggressive rubber, and able to slide around(fishtails and donuts on compact snow) but still be able to haul arse. and not "push" the front end like my suzuki does. this was the first time i saw a brute force and 589's and i was really impressed wiht them. personally when i get my 06 grizz 660 this summer im putting 26" mud bugs on it. check out www.atvonlinemagazine.com i just saw some tire reviews on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The 25" Bear Claw tread is maybe 3/4 of an inch plus they measure small in diamater. The xl's have 1 1/8 inch lug.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Im still partial to the ATR's

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I just purchased some 27" 589's and I am quite impressed with them so far(1 ride) They are suppose to be a great wearing tire and they do great in mud and snow. I am not sure how they will perform rock crawling? I am not sure I needed the 27 inchers either? I think I would have been happier with 26"s? but I couldn't turn down the deal. I was bound, bent and determined to get the Bearclaws! I never heard a bad thing about them for an all terrain tire. I have heard the Mudlites wear to fast but they offer a great ride and do great in most conditions. Good Luck.......Irv (Welcome to the site Marinegrizz, a great place to be)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Marine....IMO for the type of riding you describe the Bighorns would be an excellent tire and which ever size you get it will truly be that height. None of the other tires you mentioned will measure up.

Out of your selection the 589's will outlast the others but I prefer the MudLites over 589's for both ride and trail ability. A worthy tire you have left out of that list with similar capabilities would be the Mud Bug, which I would also pick over the 589's.

With all of that said I would still say that the Bighorns would be a good choice for the rides you mention.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Welcome aboard grunt. The 589s are a good tire, but they are heavy and it takes more power to turn them. Any of the other tires mentioned will be excelant for your needs. The Bighorns with the wrap around tread are supposed to be great for rock crawling. The Mudlight XTR is also a very good tire but a little spendy for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey, thanks for the input. i had thought about the bighorns but had thought they were a little pricey. does anyone know of a good site that ships cheap or even free with out having to buy rims too? also this site is really great i didnt know it was here or i would have been sooner. thanks

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
www.atvtires.com has some pretty decent deals. Give them a try........Irv

·
Registered
339 Posts
http://www.atvoutfitters.net

I have bought a few sets of tires from Matthew along with many other things and was always treated excellently. He even got my first set of Bighorns replaced due to a major out of balance issue when they first hit the market.

·
Registered
144 Posts
here's the best price I have seen on XTRs
http://www.kgmotorcycletires.com/ATV%20Tires.htm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts