Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there any other tire than the stock tire that you can buy with the Grizzly? I know the stock tire makes it feel tippy! I hope I can buy it with a better tire package!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
You have 2 options. You can have the dealership order tires for you and have them exchange them for the stock tires. If you let them keep the stock tires they will probably give you half of what they are worth. Also, you may be ableto get a small percentage off the price of the tires and rims since you are buying them with the quad.
The other option is you find the best price you can on tires and rims, keep the stock tires and try and sell them yourself. It's tough to sell the stock tires because everyone knows they are junk, but you may get lucky. If you can sell the set for $250-$300 you are doing good.
Or you can keep the stock tires just in case.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds Good! I'll see if they have better tires to put on it than the stock tires.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hi,

You can change the rims (to a wider offset) or put on Spacers, 1.5", this will stop the tipsy feeling.

Good all round tyres are the 6ply MAXXISS BIG HORN radials

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I secongd the Maxxis Bighorn Tires.
26" is just right.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
That's a nice looking machine. Those tires and wheels set it off.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Holeshot ATR's

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Thanks Kodiak660, sometimes I do spend more time cleaning..lol

Mike

·
Registered
78 Posts
Xtremegrizz,
a good buddy of mine just bought a set of the 26 inch atr's for his King Quad....they look like a great tire.
How do you like yours? What do you ride in for trail conditions?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the best size tire and best all around good performer tire for my 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660? I've been looking at ITP 589's with C-Series Rims and that would cost around $600.00! I'll think I'll stick with my stock tires and rims for now. They seem to be fine on trails but in the mud they suck because the tires just spin too much.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
You want a 6 ply tire. The 589 is more of an extreme mud tire and they're a bit heavier than others that are the same size.
A lot of people go to a 26" tire because you get a little more ground clearance, the lugs are usually a little deeper than a 25" and you don't have to worry about fender rubbing and lift kits.
The bigger and heavier tire you get the less gas milage you will get. Also, the bigger tire you get, the more stress you put on the axles.
If you get bigger tires and aftermarket rims, you may want to look into fender extenders too. Unless you like getting pretty muddy.
Tires are a personal preferance. I think the only thing everyone will agree on is the stock tires suck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yamaha puts the cheap light tires on for price and weight.
And even if they did put a different tire on it still most people would complain and put what they want on it later anyway.
unless you have deep pockets stay away from 589's
You will have premature wheel bearing and tie rod end wear and lose a little power due to weight.
Stick with the stockers for a while until you have your riding conditions down pat and then find the tire that suits your conditions and your pocketbook

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Kodiak660;

I have the 25" version, wanted to stay with oem size. Other than that I love them, so far been in the rocks at Ozark, MO wich is perty much all slow rock crawling and they had great traction and no flats.

Been up in Hurley, WI for some good old dirt and mud trail riding and they provied a nice soft ride but with a good feel. As for the mud well im not much of a mud rider as you can tell how clean it is but the mud we got into was thck and mixed with peat. Thought my wife got hers stuck with the mud up past the middle hub but she drove right out.

So far they have been a great all around tire for me and my wife.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Kodiak660, that looks like an awsome place to hunt.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Starky says "Kodiak660, that looks like an awsome place to hunt."
Where?....you mean here where I live?....PM me your email addy and I'll send you some pics of a few of the local thugs I see around home and up riding in the mountains;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's my first post. I bought a used 2002 Grizz w/ 1200 miles in January and just turned 2000 miles this weekend camping/scouting here in my new home state of Idaho.

In terms of tires, I would like to recommend my choice to replace the crappy stock tires. ITP Ducks Unlimited Wetlands. Now I can't do much comparisons personally to the Maxxis, 529's, ATR's, or other hot brands. I can say they have improved my ride in all conditions(hard pack, mud, snow, rocs, sand) considerably over the originals. I have nearly 400 miles on them and show absolutely no wear. I went with the 25's, as I did not want to worry about gearing or additional wear and tear.

My only issues so far with this bike is I had a light bulb seperate and the main bulb fell down into the housing and I couldn't find a way into it, but I read on here how and will try soon to remove it.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Kodiak660, I was mistaken, it was Xtremegriz that posted the picture that looked like a good hunting spot.

I'll PM you my e-mail address, but if you can, post them here for all to enjoy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts