Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever use trail lights from a n auto store or from a store like wal-mart. How good would they do and where could you get a switch for the handle bar. or handle bar mounts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
you could use a 12vdc relay and have the lights come on with your high beams if that suits your needs.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I got mine at Canadian Tire and they work great. Just hooked up a relay and used the brite switch to activate them , makes for a stock look. Cost about $50.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How hard is it run the relay. running the wire and the lights off of the bright light switch would be great. I not sure how to do it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm running some Navigator reverse lights mounted in on my Warn bumper. I have them hook seperate from any other lights. These lights throw off a wide beam just like the Warn Trail Lights and are much cheaper. I bought them at Auto Zone for $19.99.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Relays aren't that hard to wire in. One wire to the relay is Ignition switched power. One is the ground. One splices onto the Bright light power wire and the other to the new lights. You could try to steal power directly off the factory switch to the new lights but the switch would burn out quickly, the relay takes all the load from the switch.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
You mean you can't just splice into the high beam wire? My low beam wire is already running my winch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so just run the hot wire from the new lights to the high beam wire and the other wire to where

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
this is how i wired mine.

the red (+) with an in-line fuse from the batt terminal marked pos. right to the lights. then i installed an automotive relay under my left fender ( sitting on the bike).

next find the wire for the high beams and splice a wire to it. the other end will terminate on the coil side of the relay marked (+). next from the other side of the coil marked (-) run a wire to the frame of the bike, this is your ground. from the same point run a wire to a set of contacts in the relay ( normally open ) then from the new light run a wire to the opposite side of the normally open contact.

Starky,

no, i feel that's not a good place to run the hot wire for your winch. the best place i think is from the accessory outlet.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Starky, it's not hard on the light switch to steal power from it for the winch cause the winch runs a selonoid, witch is just a heavy duty relay. So if I understand right, you have your winch set up that you can only use it when the low beam lights are on.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
here you go guys, a wiring diagram for lights-

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Yes, if I want to use my winch I have to turn my low beams on. It's been working great for 2 years now.
I don't have any auxiliry lights yet. If I do get some I will probably get a light kit and put them on their own switch. Right now I just use a spot light that I plug into the aux. port if i need extra light.
I much prefer turning the lights off and using the NVGs.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Notice though that #30 says fused from battery, if you want you can probably use the accesory port wire. And if you want something else to turn on at the same time as your driving lights (indicator light or maybe neon tubes that make the ground glow under your quad) you can power them with the 87a terminal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why can't you run the hot wire from the lights to the battery with a in line fuse and break the gound wire with the switch. or come off the Acc. plug in with the hot wire.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
A lot of lights out there don't have separate ground wires, they use the mounting hardware as a ground.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts