Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if any of you have upgraded your exhaust? If so, what kind did you buy and is it worth the money?

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
I have the power tip and I am pleased with the performance of that. $30 verses $250 plus. Cant see that there would be enough difference to warrant the price, plus heard some horror stories of melted fenders with other pipes.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
It seems that I've tried so many pipes lately. Stock one quiet but too restrictive, I removed the end cap and spark arrestor and welded on a 2" crome tip along with four 1/2" holes in the baffles- worked awsome sounded good except it gurgled with the engine brake. Then I bought a FMF pipe, sound was awful (hollow, not bassy) but it fell apart within 4 months. They warrantied it with a full refund (nice) and I tried out my buddies Pro Circuit T4 for two months. Nice pipe, well built but LOUD. Power was excellent! Too loud for me so I bought a MBRP pipe, all stainless construction and nice bassy sound. Had this one for 4 rides now and I think I've found the right one for me. Cost me about $325 Canadian and looks very durable. I thought it worth the money but that's just me. Oh by the way, the FMF also was the only one to melt a little plastic. Power is nice on my latest pipe but so was the 2" tip I added to the factory pipe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I have already ripped out the screen from my stock pipe but never thought about drilling holes in the baffle and welding a 2' tip on the end. I will give it a try and go from there.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks addicted2mud! I'm in the market for a new pipe, Where did you get yours?

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
GrizzFan, MBRP quit making these pipes and I just bought one that was left over. If your really interested GeorgiaGrizzly had one for sale a little while ago. Its called a powertech 4 pipe, send him a PM. He thought it was too loud. It seems that the Decibles comming out of these pipes varys from pipe to pipe. For example the Pro Circuit pipe I had was very loud yet a guy I rode with had the same pipe and it was much more quiet.????

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the white brothers and am very happy with it. Plenty of power and sounds great. It is tuneable which is a nice if you want to fine tune the machine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Why in the heck are you guys riping the spark arrestor out of your quads?? I don't know of anyplace that you can ride on public lands, that you can't have a spark arestor installed. what are you gaining maybe 1 at best with this safety device removed. Not to sound arrogant, but when you start a forest fire, I hope they send you the ticket. There is no way in **** I would think of removing this Item. the last thing that I want is mine or anybody elses riding area burned to the ground because someone needed a couple of more HP that they probably couldn't even notice anyway.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree with dnhyoung completely! You will be cited and outlawed from using public lands. The huge fire a few years ago in Colorado was caused by a vehicle exhaust system.

Please be responsible and DO NOT remove the spark arrestor unless you are using your rig for racing or competition where one MAY not be required, AND you have a fully legal one with a spark arrestor that you can install when you are using your ATV in areas where they are required by law and good commonsense!

Ron

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have stated this in here and other forums before, it is just bad news and with tree huggers and lobyists all over North America trying to shut down our riding areas, we don't need to give them any more reasons!. Keep them in for all of us and the love of our sport! Just go the land use and Politcal threads in this forum and see for yourself........Irv

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I have the HMF QS1. Very nice sound and a slight notice in power gain. I expect to see a better power gain when I put the tires back on.

I agree, leave the spark arrester in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
"The huge fire a few years ago in Colorado was caused by a vehicle exhaust system."

Actually the "Hayman" fire was the largest Colordao fire and it was caused by a forest service employee who burned a letter, left the scene, and fire spread! 130,000 acres!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was referring to the Missionary Ridge fire near Durango in the summer of 2002. It is uncertain if it was caused by a vehicle exhaust system or a discarded cigarette, but it started along a logging road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts