Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know when it is time to adjust the valves? Is there any signs of valves that are out? Does the quad not run right or knock or stall or what? What happens if you don't adjust the valves?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I haven't done mine yet either but some trusted Grizzly Guru's told me that when it gets hard to start with the choke and like, it is most likely in need of a valve adjustment? I don't know if there are other signs but that is what they told me. Everything I have heard after the valves have been adjusted is that the bike has it's original snap back and most guy's say it was well worth it and they were glad they did them or had them done. I am not sure what damage can be done but I gotta think it can't be good for anything if they are way out?. Good Luck and keep us posted if you do them...Irv

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I believe it's the intake valves that usually tighten up. It will get harder to start, your power will drop off and you may get some back-firing when you chop the throtle.
If you don't adjust them you will damage your motor.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I would like to do mine, what do I have to remove to be able to get in there and do them? I have heard a deck screw with the square end(Robertson Head) is the best thing to hold the valve as your adjusting/retightening? I will take any and all tips related to doing this please. And as much detail as you can provide. Thanks......Irv

·
Registered
256 Posts
Starky is right, loss of power and backfires are the 2 most common symptoms.
Irv, if you're mechanically inclined, I'd say go for it and do it yourself but if you're not sure, get em done by someone how knows how. I get it done by a mechanic everytime...had them done twice already and will get them done again in a few days

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
What are you usually paying to get them adjusted? I was told between $100.00 and $150.00? Seems a bit high but I guess it is a little labor intensive getting at them?.......Irv

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
You have to take a lot of body work off which isn't so bad. From what I have read, it isn't that hard once you have done it once but doing it once without screwing it up is the trick. There is a web site that takes you through it step by step. Look for other "valve adjustment" threads in this forum and you'll find the web site.
I take mine to the mechanic too. I know I would drop something down in there and then I would be screwed.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I just finished doing my valves, it wasn't too difficult. The hardest part was getting eveything off and out of the way! That white plastic shield beneath the tank was the worse! My valves were a little tight but I could still wiggled them at TDC.(1100 km's)I set them at 0.13mm with the feeler gauge on the intakes. I don't know, it is probably just me being paranoid but I am wondering if I set them too loose? They just seem noisy to me now but I am really lending an ear listening! What would I notice if they are set to loose? I took it for a spin and it seemed ok? If I did set them too loose, what are the consequences? It fires right up no problem, just tap the ignition button and away she goes........Irv

·
Registered
289 Posts
To tight and you can burn a valve or valve seat this is not good. At 13mm your right in the middle of the range of 10 to 15 mm for the intakes cold, hearing them clatter a bit is much better than not hearing them at all

·
Registered
34 Posts
Irv, you're probably just paying more attention now that you worked on it. A little noise is normal. If they are too loose you'll know it!! You will hear a loud knocking if you didn't do it right. I do pretty much any repair on my machines. It's normally easier than you think.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Irv, I paid $80 once and $120 the other time for valve adjustment and on both occasions, I had other work done...That's a good price in my opinion. I'd rathet pay and have peace of mind!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
The thing you have to watch for are shadey mechanics. Some will say they adjusted them when they didn't do anything at all. Believe it or not, Yamaha dealerships seem to be the worst in my opinion of saying they adjusted the valves when they didn't do anything at all.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Well guys, I guess it is back to the valves! I was reading a post at another forum and I realized I set them to .013 which is .330mm. I should have set them between .004 and .006 which is .102mm and .152mm. Which Yamaha states in their manual. 0.10 to 0.15. I should have realized where that decimal point was! Wow, do I have them loose! I am just glad I didn't go for a long ride, I only went a couple of blocks and then parked it. They just seemed to noisy for me? See you in a couple hours..........Irv

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Well that is better! No more clackity clack. It sure was easier the second time around too! I really don't think they could have been out by much to begin with? At least now I know there good. I will wait another 1100 km's or more when I check them the next time. Thanks for all your tips guys. I appreciate it.......Irv

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Glad you didn't do any damage Irv. The experience you gained is priceless. Doing it the first time is always the hardest, so I've been told.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the hardest part was taking the front fenders off.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
No need to take them off Mike, It makes the job easier but I left mine on. Just removed the front rack, gas tank, white cover under the gas tank, pull cord, side panels and that was it.......Irv

·
Registered
28 Posts
Irv, the first time I adjusted my valves I didn't have to take off the front fenders. The intakes were easy and the exhaust valves were within specs. Good thing 'cause I couldn't reach them with two hands with the fenders on.
In the above picture, I had the fenders off to install my Steering Stabilizer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
it cost me $57 dollars at the dealer to get the valves adjusted. (of course the intake were way too tight). and $60 dollars in gas to haul it there in my truck, i cant wait till the gas prices go down. 15 dollars to fill my grizzly up

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
jimschevey, even with using a direct exchange rate, it costs me $24 to fill my Griz!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts