Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm new to this forum. I'm asking for help. My buddy and I bought '02 Grizzly 660's together. We ride them aggresively. Trail, swamp, small jumps/x-cross, and lots of water/mud. I have a K&N jet kit (running one jet leaner) with the replacement slide spring, etc. I also (was) running a K&N filter. My buddies bike is completely stock. Our bikes got progressively more difficult to start. They now won't start at all unless you have a jump and 20 minutes to play with. Once running, it runs perfectly (it seems). Same top end as before. Same mileage as before. No engine noises. I thought maybe the float bowl was needing cleaned (1800 miles) so I removed, soaked, sprayed and air sprayed clean/dry. Needle seat SEEMED to be moving freely and floats moving correctly. I now think my intake valve(s) are tight. Not getting enough cylinder fill to start? That's why it takes choke and throttle to start?? The airbox will be full of fuel when turning over like there's no place for it to go!! Am I on the right page?? If so, how do I find out how to check these? What are tolerances? Thanks for any help you can offer as we are now fixing two bikes as my buddies won't start either. Same exact problem/symptoms. We recently went on a 2-day 360mile run from Searchmont, Canada to Wawa, Canada through the snowmobile trails. Unbelievable. Had to struggle to get both started, however so fear was there upon awakening on day 2 in the bush. I desperately need this running for deer season as I am now relying on my Polaris. Yuck!!!! :)

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
it sounds like valves,,,,, I have heard they can get far enough out of adj. that even the choke doesnt help,,, there are several threads on here on the adjustment procedure and tolerances,,,,, the hardest part is getting to them,,, if you cant find the specs speak up again and I will look them up for you,, (would now, but just came in for a tea break),,, they also tighten up so you wont hear valve noise ,,,, good luck and welcome to the forum,,,,,, ,,, cg

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that info country...I've read lots of topics which reference checking them but none on actually how. (except that it is a tight fit and that it apparently takes some sort of special tool) I've picked up that I need to remove the tires (front) and I'm assuming carburator??? Also the recoil cover. Don't know where to go from here. Am I sticking a device into the intake and measuring how high the valves go? Or is it something else.
thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Congrats on the new Grizz rental rider, there are a few sites that show pics and give a good description on how to adjust the valves. I tried to copy and paste and it wouldn't let me? I know if you go to www.highlilter.com look up a post any post by Grizzhopper, he is a member on here as well but hasn't been on in a while? Anyways he has lot of photos and info on how to do this. He now has his own site which i beleive is http://grizzhopper.com Hope you can find what i am talking about?........Irv

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Rentalrider, try www.ansley.net. Everything you need is in there. Good luck...Irv

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Irv, can't thank you enough. Not only did that site have all the info needed in a printable version, but I performed the "fix" last evening. Bike seems to run perfectly now. Starts w/out even a full revolution of the starter. Couldn't be happier so thanks to all who helped. I can finally put the Polaris back into it's "resting place"!

by the way, there was NO gap left at all in 2 of the 3 valves. totally tight and 3rd was shy of recommended. both exhaust seemed good.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Your welcome Rentalrider, I am glad I could help you out.........Irv

1 - 7 of 7 Posts