Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have this happening to their Grizzly? After getting in water that gets on engine, my Grizzly is sputtering and dying. I can't keep it started for quite some time. Anyone have suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I've heard of this happening to other Grizzlies. It seems that steam is getting sucked into the moter which screws up the fuel/air mixture.
I'm sorry i don't know the cure, but I'm pretty sure that is the cause.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine has done it just a few times...alot of it has to do with speed going thru the water and being in high range...if you go thru in low range you carry more RPM's and have a better chance of it not happening.
Go thru too slow in high and it will sputter.....another thing to do is put dielectric grease in the spark plug boot.
Also when you stop for breaks leave your key on so your fan runs and pushes all the hot air out from the motor area....this helps you to keep from having vapor lock set in.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
One thing I have herd for a cure to the steam problem is to of course snorkle it, but the other one is to remove the seat and the air intake tube that runs just under the gas tank plastic, run it on the out side of the tank. Its a little hard to minupulate the intake on the outside and get you seat back on but if you take your time it can be done and look good.

Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it Happens to you again, and its not deep or to muddy where you can get out. Shut your machine down and jump off and start throwing water onto your engine and cool it down. Do that for a few minutes then start it up and you should be good to go till the next hole it happens. What happens is the engine is extremely warm ( :) Of Course) the water turns to steam when it hits the engine and that steam gets trapped under your gas tank cover. Your air intake is under the the tank cover as well. When your carberator takes in all that steam which is very warm :) causes te air/fuel mixture to get all screwed up and the engine will not run right.

With you having a 05 and having side vents on the covers there really isn't much you can do besides snorkel your grizz or you can cut a hole in your tank cover where the intake is for the air box lid so your machine can get fresh air all the time.

Its problem I use to have with my 02 till I got the new panels with vents like yours. The vents has crued my problem. If this is something that normally happens to you, then you might want to think about snorkeling your intake, and that will be a complete fit to that problem for ever!

Good luck, ride safe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts