Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about the venom winches. They are on e-bay for really cheap prices. Just wondering if they are any good or just junk. I can't find any info. on them anywhere else.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Never hear of 'em

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
For the price they are probably pretty good. If you get one just don't expect too much out of it and use it til it breaks. I don't know how waterproof they are, so you may want to add some grease and silicone spray.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
My take on winches is.............

Buy the best you can afford. If you don't have one you don't go looking for the nasty stuff, If you need it and it don't perform you are toast.

JMHO.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got my Warn winch for $69 when I bought my grizzly.

I too have seen these other makes of winches on Ebay.

I guess my concern would be what kind of warranty they have and if they stand behind their product. Or maybe underneath their product, if you know what I mean.

I did find a chart somewhere, can't remember where, that compared Venom, Warn and another make on pulling power. The Warn winch had the best rating for pull vs time. I can't remember where Venom was at in this chart.

Several years ago, I had an off name winch on the front of my Toyota 4x4. That thing pulled out stumps, stuck trucks and a bunch of other things. I paid a lot less than what the "name" brands were wanting and it always preformed very well for me.

If I did not get the Warn for $69, I too would have got another brand for the $$$ difference.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
462 Posts
from what i gathered from researching for my winch,,,,there are only 2 major manufacturers of ATV winchs,,,,they are both about equal in quality

from these two manufacturers,they basically make the same winch,and just paint,and put differant lettering on them for what ever company orders them from them,,,,the only basic differance will be what year,size,color,and name they stick on it

ive seen where folks have taken parts from one (supposed) differant brand to repair anouther

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought a Venom 3000lb. winch for my Eiger just to see how it compares. I found it works great and installs just like a Warn. It came with the ATV specific mount, winch, cable, roller fairlead, wiring with handlebar mounted rocker swicth, and solenoid. It works great for extracting stuck ATV's and I use it mainly for my Warn plow. My only complaints are that it has too much cable on it and binds up on itself if I don't hand guide it in and the rocker switch is a little touchy. All in all, a good winch for the money ($139) and if it burns out, I have a spare 1700lb Warn utility winch that will bolt up in its place.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here's a pic

·
Registered
78 Posts
My bad, I just checked and I have a VIPER winch not VENOM. They are both for sale on Ebay for about the same price. I bought the viper over the venom cause I like the way the free-spool lever is a rotary lever and not a pull knob.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts