Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I finally got my $69 winch installed and it is working great.

I am glad I had a good assortment of metric sockets and wrenches. No two bolts are the same. This is for what comes on the griz, the mounting plate and installing the winch.

I have the switch wired up to the headlight low beam wire. I got this idea from Starky. I think this is the green wire in the taped up bundle coming out of the switch. My brother made the connection under the hood near the front air intake.

The pitures from 1BadGriz helped a lot.

I'll put some pictures on here in a few.

For anyone who put on the $69 winch and mounting bracket, did you have a plate left over that came in the winch box?

·
Registered
462 Posts
i had to buy my setup seperate,and i too had a black plate with 2 corners that turned up,,,,not sure what it was for,,,,i figured it may have had something to do with a earlier model,,,,no worries

·
Registered
462 Posts
if you plan on getting a plow,and the Warn front bumper,,,,the lift bracket that mounts to the stock bumper,will not fit on the stock bumper anymore with the upgrade of the Warn bumper

what i had to do (in a pinch because i didnt discover it until i hooked the plow up for the first time this year)was hook the bracket to the top of the Warn bumper,and drill a hole in the center of the bumper to fasten the bracket to the bumper

the problem is,,,,the pully guide on the pushtube assembly is further back,and the cable just bareley rubs the bottom of the bumper,,,i have to figure something else out,or its going to frey the cable

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plow?? Plow what, snow? If the snow starts getting that bad here, I'm moving farther south. ha ha

We do get some snow here, but not that much for a plow. We just drive over it enough till it melts by that afternoon.

2" of snow here and it is mass confusion. They buy out the grocery stores and think they can still drive 55 mph. Then wonder what happened when they are in the ditch.

Just my two cents, if any of you are planning a trip through Memphis and snow is falling. Get the **** off the streets and let the un-insured drivers have it. If they don't get in a ditch, they will be running into your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Glad everything worked out. You sure don't have much room left in the storage box do you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not a lot of room at the opening cause of the relay taking it up.

There is still plenty of room on down in the box where the wires are tucked.

I put my cell phone in there and let it bounce around.

I am shopping for a rear trunk like Irv has that is made by Quadrax.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
The dealership mounted mine so I didn't have a lot to say about it, but if you look at my picture with the close-up of the rear track you can sort of see where they mounted the relay on the back of the cargo box on the outside. If you blow the picture up you can see it a little better.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can see your wires and that's about it.

Have you had any problems with it mounted at that location?

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I only have about 200 miles on my Griz and it was all on dry dirt trails. I sure hope it works out ok.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Ok guys i read about selonoid locations last week and it got me thinking about a better location for mine cause it took too much room in my compartment. here's where it was----

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I don't think that picure worked but anyways here's where I moved it to. All you can see is the 4 bolts under the rear rack. it's on the roof of the storage compatment, can't see it, hard to get wet and my compartment is now fully usable. there's just enough room there for the Warn selonoid to fit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I also mounted my relay in the cargo box. The wires are a little tighter and I have almost complete use of the cargo box. I cut off the little fin that holds the manual and placed the relay on top of that space. (Be careful of the fins under the cargo box on the outside. It makes it hard to put nuts on the back bolts of the relay.

I put silicone around the wires going between the battery box and the cargo box to keep the wires from rubbing. I left the wires long between the battery and the relay in case I move the winch to another machine. Good Luck.

·
Registered
140 Posts
glad to hear the pictures helped out - looks great man !

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Bad,

I haven't seen you here in a while. You been laying low?

Yeah, your pics helped a lot. It gave me the beginning and end. I just had to come up with the middle. With some fore-thought and from your pics, I was able to do that pretty easy.

Thanks again.

Oh, the overfenders are coming in today. Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll post some new pics after installation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts