Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we're supposed to get some snow this weekend, my plow is still in the box...waiting to see if I need to put it together...it looks like the mounting plate hangs down kinda low..not sure I wanna leave it on all the time...it lowers your ground clearance...any suggestions on this and any plow usage tips?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm kinda curious how much ground clearance you lose with the mounting plate. I've been thinking about gettin' a plow. Don't wanna lose too much GC. That's why I bought the thing!!!!!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
You only loose about 2" right behind your A-arms, not much really. Yes you have to assemble it! It takes about an hour if you use an air rachet. You will be really suprised at how easy it plows. My Eiger 400 moves 8" of heavy wet snow with ease! and the first couple times you use it, you will find yourself plowing everything. The first time I used my plow, I plowed my driveway, 2 neighbors driveways, part of the street, my partents driveway, and my girlfriends! Plus with a winch, you can lift the plow high enough to drive the quad up a ramp and into the back of a pick-up.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info guys, Its 7:30 am est and we got many inches last night...aint been out in it yet but I'm gonna go out to the garage and install it now. this is all new to me so I'm sure if I make out ok I will be just like you say black954 plowing everything in site! i never thought about the diff the winch would make as far as height, thats cool to know.

any suggestions on where the plow sits on the ground, do you have to set that height?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got it all working perfect, the manual lift sys works but, cant wait to get the winch so I can eliminate that "work"...pushed big snow piles no prob and had lots of fun! my driveway is about 250 feet long, normally it takes hours of shoveling I was done in less than a half hour for everything. very cool.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Great news Grizznizzle, glad it worked good for you. That is one big drive way you have there! The winch would definitley be a bonus and probably cut down your time even more.........Irv

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the Grizz really impressed me pushing the snow, I'm guessing we got around 6 to 8 inches (is that 15 to 20 cm there Irv...not sure if Im doin the conversion right), the temp was up so it was heavy snow too..the only time it got bogged down was if I tried pushing 3 foot high or more piles full blade, I would have to switch to lo gear, other than that you had no indication that there was any load on the Grizz, hi gear and rooster tails!!....I've heard all you pros in here saying it would have no trouble, the dealer said it would have no prob but, not until you actually get out there and try did i become convinced.

I had one snag during the install...the bolts you have to remove from the floorboard, one of them is inside a channel (one each both sides) and the floorboard support blocks direct access to it, luckily I had a 1/4 breaker bar and used it to loosen the bolt from the side. maybe if I had a 1/4 swivel that wouldve worked but the breaker bar did the trick.

I was impressed with the warn plow as well, someone here has the Moose county plow which looks mean as ****, I was thinking of sellling my warn for the moose but...I think that moose plow is better where the snow gets deeper. we dont get that much so I'll hang onto the warn...If I have to buy a new one I will get the Mooose fo show yo!

i went around the whole neighborhood and helped out and cleared the front of mailboxes so the mail lady dont have to get out of her car.

I'm debating wether or not to leave the brackets on year round...they are a pain in the a55 to get of and on and they lower your ground clearance...i'll just have to keep them in mind case I get a hankering to jump some logs.

CG you have any tricks for the bolts I'm talking 'bout?

·
Registered
144 Posts
G, if you replace the bolts with Allen Head bolts and use a Bondus or similar BALL END WRENCH it will be much easier to install.
I built my own snow plow and mounts. I will post pictures tomorrow. It is not a Warn brand but I think it mounts in the same place and this is what worked for me.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats a **** good idea using allen head screws bevergriz, i could def pick up some stainless ones easy enough and give it a whirl. and it sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about. thanks a bunch i'm gonna try it! do you leave your plow mounts on all year or do you swap em out when you need em?

I am very happy with the way the Grizz performed today pushing that snow around, even the neighbors that had been giving me the ackward eye while i'm out riding were happy once I did their driveway.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Grizzinzzle, I new you would love the plow! It snowed in Chicago on Saturday night and I got to use mine again. I didn't have to cause on Sunday, the sun melted everything. I also keep mine sitting on wood and use Honda Polish/cleaner on it after every use to prevent rusting. Plus the blade looks good all shiny black. I was going to get a Moose plow, but they were a tad more expensive and I like the Warn quality. and I would rather have a black plow than yellow.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Black954 mine is gray and has Yamaha name on it, i agree about the price of the Moose and since this one came with the machine I cant gripe about the price. I like the idea of spraying it down with something after use, since it doesnt get used that much you want it to be usable when you need it...and normally i do everything last minute! again I was suprised at how easy the Grizz pushed the snow, for the first time in my life I was dissapointed once all the snow had been plowed!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys, I have to agree with ya about plowing snow. My first time this year, new home, and what a blast. driveway is 450 feet long and not a problem. Two storms ago we had about 35cm of snow ( over a foot ), I made my first run down the driveway with the blade straight, by the time i got to the end of the driveway the snow was piled a foot above my front rack and coming back to the handle bars. The grizz never slowed down though, talk about impressed. I actually look forward to snow storms so i can go out and play, wife thinks i'm crazy. Think i will take plow mount off at end of season, that 1 to 2 inches makes a difference. Was out on a run today and really noticed the diffence in a few spots, where normally you would never hit bottom, i was getting a bit hung up, never completly caught but enough you new it was there. besides I don't want to beat the crap out of the mount, rather not spend another $85 if i can help it. have fun plowing all.....td

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea its prob worth the effort to remove the mount after the season is over, I figure no sense in limiting yourself and its not that big of a deal to remove. I would use anti-sieze on the bolts more so for lubricant than to prevent rusting.

I had mine on angle and went down the middle haulin a55, then just turned around and hit each side...it was clean as a whistle!

450 feet long driveway?!? heck, I would buy the Grizz just to check the mail!!!!

G

1 - 13 of 13 Posts