Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a bad thing happen to me today,,,,i was changing the oil in the front transfer case,and when i was putting the drain plug back in it spun on me

i didnt reef it,i went just past snug,then it spun,,,the tech at the yammy shop told me i had to replace the whole unit!!!! because its too small to retap to a bigger plug,,,the stock plug only has 3 threads,and if i was to retap to a larger plug,and IF i was succesful,it would be less than that

i told him there is no way i was buying a brand new unit because of a drain plug on a bike that is only a year,and a half old

so what im going to do is get me a $3 dollar tube of JB Weld,and put the plug back in so it wont ever come out,lol

he says how are you going to change the fluid? i told him i guess that i'm left with 2 options,,,dont change it until i really need a new one,and just keep the level up,,,,,,or buy a Turkey baster,and get as much old oil out that i can through the fill plug ,and change it that way

so beware to those of you who havnt done this maintenance,BE VERY,VERY CAREFUL when reinstalling the drain plug to the front transfer case,it took nothing to strip the threads,and i mean nothing

the tech said to "just snug it,and it tightens itself"? i'm dead serious,word for word,,,,so i guess when it falls out,and you fry the gears you can buy a new unit that way

but why the small delicate plug? ive owned 3 polaris's prior to my switch to Yamaha,and the plugs on them were normal drain plugs,and NOT the self tightning space age type,lolololololol!!!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
self tightening huh? i always tightened mine.there should be a way of rethreading it for the next size up plug.sorry for your misfortune on the plug

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
not sure, but I would check with a local machine shop,,, I used to have a kaw-900 and it was real bad about striping the threads that held the cambearing holders in place,, I tried helicoils and they would strip after a few teardowns also,, I finally found some metal inserts that you put in, you would rethread it to a biger size,, then apply some red loctite to the thread, and screw the metal insert in,, no more problem,,,,,, just something to look into,,, I guess you could always turn it upside down to drain it, lol,,, good luck,,, ,,, ,,,,,,,,, cg

·
Registered
701 Posts
That sux and I'm notorious for putting things bubba tight. I'll be carefull next time. You could always tip your machine up on the side to drain it too :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the thing is,even if i tap it out to a larger size,AND am successful,i'll still be worrying if it's going to fall out,,,or the next time i need to change the oil,the same issue is at hand,rely on it tightning itself? ROFL,thats ridiclous

i'll admit when i screw up,alweays have,your never stupid for doing something wrong,only stupid if you repeatedly do the same thing wrong,,,but i just went a lil tighter than snug,because i know the dangers of steel verses aluminum,aluminum loses everytime

i took the bike in yesterday to get the gorrila's,and the clutch kit installed,and told them if they can retap it fine,but dont spend alot of time on it (rack up a big bill),and that i was serious about the JB weld,heck the xfer case will probably last for ever

and besides,it wouldnt be a true Redneck bike if something on it wasnt held together with chewing gum,bailing wire,or spit anyway

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I might be way off on this ,,, but I remember asking my dealer about the fluid in the diffs..... he said to change the final and just check the level in the ft.,,,, also that is what the service manual says,,,,, doesnt make much sense i know but that is what it says,,,, ,,,, ,,, BUT,,, it also give 7.2ft.lb. for the torque on the ft.,, kinda strange for a self tighting bolt.LOL,,,(the back bolt torques at 16 ft.lbs..,,,,,,,, good luck,,,, ,,,, ,,, cg

·
Registered
289 Posts
When ever working with aluminum of any kind if it gives torque values, use a torque wrench, would save a lot of pain and agony, and I don't mean to be a smart a$$. Another thing you might consider is try teflom tape in the original plug and see if it will seal that way, otherwise take a look at a sae pipe plug, just a little bigger then the metric hole, use the proper pipe tap, may not have to drill any material out even, then use teflon tape on the plug. The sae pipe plug has a coarser and deeper thread than the metric variety, just another thought.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx for the input,it's all welcome

they said they wouldnt be done with the work i had already scheduled until monday,or tuesday,so i guess i'll find out then if they were able to do anything with the drain plug

i guess i'm going to invest in a decent torque wrench

like i said though,the plug only has 3 fine threads on it,if i retap it to anything larger,i'm gonna be lucky to still have 2 threads

i dont understand why it's necessary to change the oil in the rear,but not the front,,,that actually is some pretty good news you brought me,,,if i do end up JB Welding the plug back in,it wont be such a big deal if all i'm supose to do is check the level

yea,self tightning plug,,,that one still gives me a chuckle

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
you might want to check on the not changing the fluid.,,, like I said, it doesnt make sense but that is the way I read the manual and it is what my dealer said,,, you might look at a good parts store like oreillys or somewhere like that for a rubber plug that you just push in,, like of like some of the older chevy 350's had on the valve cover to fill with oil, it seems like I have seen smaller ones and the case must not be too thick if the plug only had three threads,, ,,,, ,, good luck,,,,,,,,, cg

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good idea CG,thanx

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just an update,,,,

i got my bike back today,and they were able to retap the drain hole

i went and bought a nice digital craftsman torque wrench so EVERYTHING is being tightned with it from here on

also had the valves adjusted,my clutch kit installed,decided to have them replace the belt since they were already in there,and the Gorilla axles,so now i'm ready to install the lift kit

i also went and got me a decent digital camera so i can post a few picks when i get it all finished

later,Hoo

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Good stuff Hoo,

Keep us posted with the pics mate.

Cheers Noel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts