Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first yamaha i have allways been a honda person but ever since i got my honda rincon it has been in the shop first year model.i have a grizzly 660 now and i went riding with some of my cousins friends and all they did was talk sh*t about yamaha. about how i would have to get pulled out and that i would not be able to go through the water they go through and on and on. i don't like riding in a lot of water but sometimes it is un avoidable. has anybody had water get in there belt or oil or rear end or front end. i was riding in water about up to my knee and knock on wood checked my airbox and belt plug and had no water. what kind of maintenance do i need to do after riding in alot of water. what can i grease my self? also if i do get water in my belt and i drain the water and it does not slip how do i know if i need to replace it? how do you replace it is it hard? what is the cost of a new belt? this is the one thing i do not like about the grizzly is the belt drive.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Your belt will last thousands of miles, some guys get 7500 or more. The chance that you will get water in there is slim unless you go over the front or rear racks? What year is your grizz? There are only 4 grease nipples on the back suspension, you can get to them through the slots in your rear wheels. Put dielectric grease on all your electrical connections especially your front diff servos(be cautious taking them apart!! They can break easily) I have ridden in water as deep as my knees or deeper and I have never had any water yet. Check periodically and change your diff oils at least once a year. If you get water in your belt, pull the drain plug and let it drain out. In neutral, rev you engine for a few moments to help dry things up, put the plug back in and your all set. You will out mud, out water, out do anything a Honda can do hands down. I am sure soon enough they will be looking for a drink to help swallow their foot. Enjoy your new quad, you bought the best hands down so enjoy it and don't feel you have to prove it to anyone but yourself! I am sure a few of your buddies will be buying a grizz after they get sick and tired of being winched out by you. Take care.....Irv

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it' an 06. so if you get water in your belt you don't have to get it checked out or take it apart and check it your self? thanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Drowned mine once. Got stopped in deep water waiting for a Honda with a busted axle to be moved that was blocking the trail.Got out drained the belt been going ever since. It is not impossible to do, but it will go through alot before stopping.Maybe we can get together and sling some mud this year, not that far from you.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
dixieandbacon, welcome to the site, enjoy your Griz, and don't be afraid of the water, if/when you get water over the racks, just drain the 3 plugs and away you go. I agree with Irv, just grease the 2 zerks on each rear wheel after every few rides!

Tell your Honda buddies to read the sign!!!

THIS ISNT A HONDA IT IS A TRUE 4X4

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice sign beast. 3 plugs are you talkin about the belt drain plug and the front and back rear end? TJ10EC sounds good just went to hawkinsville a couple of weekends ago it was alot of fun. ever been there before?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
dixieandbacon
yes the 3 plugs I mean are the "belt drain" and the "airbox" and "front vent pipe"!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Should be avaiable in most Auto parts stores like Auto Zone? It comes in a tube about the size of toothpaste or bigger........Irv

·
Registered
26 Posts
Remember that there is greas in your clutch, so every time you get water in it you get dirt too. If the water is sandy or dirty you will most definitiely have sand and dirt in the grease. When you pull your cover off to check it won't look like it but if you rub some of the grease between your fingers it will feel really gritty. Now I'm not sure, but it can't be too good for the rollers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts