Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only had this 03 Grizzly for 2 weeks. I sold my older 98 600 and picked this one up. I don't know what anyone else thinks, but the factory front bumpers are junk. I think we know where our recycled cans go now. These bumpers are pretty much good for nothing except for keeping small weeds and branches from scratching your quad. I do not abuse my equipment, but I do use it. My quad doesn't sit idle in the garage with a fresh coat of armor-all. Beware- you cannot pull from anywhere on the front without bending the bumper. They cannot be used for working applications. Anyway, I made a new one that can be used for work. It uses the same mounts, and I added 2 extra tabs that support the rear of the winch mount and serve as another point for the front bumper to mount to the frame. So now it mounts at the front rack, at the bottom, at the 2 mid point mounts, and in between the 2 mid points and lower mounts. It's very sturdy where the welded pull loop is above the winch. I also threw out the Yamaha lights that barely brightened the trail and mounted up some HID style driving lights that work great. It looks like a car coming through the trail. Now I can pull logs from the front with no worries. Here is a picture.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have heard about the displeasure guys were having with their front bumpers. Thanks to you and them i now know not to be too hard on it. It looks like you built a very solid front bumper there vic, looks strong now that is for sure! Are those lights ok to use with the grizz? I know nothing electrical so i am curious if the grizz's charging system, battery etc puts out enough juice for them? Were the lights a direct fit/replacement or did you have to modify anything? Can you tell me what kind they are, part number, what car are they meant for etc. Thanks in advance.....Irv

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree vikitup the front original bumper is weak. I put on a aftermarket one and now I can pull and push without fear of bending it.

P.S. Nice job on the bumper.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I overcame the problem by adding the warn bumper for the branches. For pulling/winch point I added 2 D Shakles to the holes on the left and right of the standard warn winch plate. I put a strap though with an extra shackle in the front so that it is centred!
A very cheap and effective sollution!

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Very nice work Vik,

It looks really solid.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Irv- If you do anything, the lights are a really good upgrade. You wouldn't believe the improvement on the trail at night. Plus they are glass lenses and don't get scratched up and look like crap. The grizzly's charging system is supposed to be able to handle 100 watts. The factory lights are only 30 watts each, then you add the coil and other accessory circuits for the operation of the bike. It probably adds up to around 75 watts, which is under what Yamaha designed the unit to produce. I hooked the lights up and started the engine. I put the meter to it and found the system was charging at 13.2 volts at idle, which is still plenty of voltage. As long as it's not discharging(below 12.0-12.4 volts), you are fine. So I can say with a degree of certainty that the charging system on the Grizzly can handle (2) 55 watt lights safely with no problems. I am also plabbing on adding a single 55 watt on the back so I can see when I am rigging or backing at night. I bought the lights from Autozone. They were the only ones I could find that would fit into the provided space. Some were too deep, and some were to small in diameter. They actually fit right into the holes without the bracket they come with. I removed the factory light and found that the mounting tabs were broken and dirt/water were getting into the lights anyway- which was making them discolored from the inside. I used the factory tabs that are part of the fenders. They fit right in and I used longer stainless metric bolts with rubber spacers to hold the new lights. The rubber serves as a friction washer to keep the lights aimed, and as sort of a shock absorber. They turned out nice. I think Advanced has them too, I paid 36.00 for them. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Thanks Vic, i guess you don't know who makes them? We don't have Autozone's in Canada that i am aware of so i was hoping i could cross reference them with something at a auto store up here in Canada? Thanks again.....Irv

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Irv- Sorry about that. Here is a link for the light a used.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3151A&mfrcode=APC&mfrpartnumber=505302H

They are made by American Products Company. The model number is 505302H.

You could probably order online, but I don't know if they ship to Canada or not.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Thanks Vic, i will have to check it out........Irv

1 - 9 of 9 Posts