Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any thing that has to be done prior to welding on the frame of a 2002 grizzly.I have a very small crack on the bracket that holds the front lower A- arm and was hoping to use an arc welder to repair it but I am worried about possibly frying any of the electrical components in the process.Thanx Rod

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am a professional welder and a Master BMW technician and the advice I would give you is to unbolt the negative battery cable when you go to weld. I myself probably wouldn't go that far but it couldn't hurt. Just think, at muffler shops they weld (if you want to call it that) exhaust systems on all different kinds of cars and I highly doubt they ever disconnect the vehicle battery. Also make sure you have a good ground to your welding machine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Black954,

Your expertise is what I was after .I noticed in your photos your Grizzly's rear rack is bent a bit .Mine too. Did you straighten it out? and if so how did you do it?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I managed to straighten it with a new one from Ebay! The tubing is too thin to apply any pressure to without kinking the tubing itself. I tried to straighten it with a 5' pipe and some ass but it bent more than it straightened. I got the new one for $102 on Ebay that was a new dealer take-off with 1 shipping scratch. They go for $190 new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Blsck954

I see you live close by. Where do you ride?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Blsck954

I see you live close by. Where do you ride?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx black954,
ride safe, Rod

·
Registered
78 Posts
Grizzinrasta, what's up. I usually ride at The Cliffs Insane Terrain in Marseiles, IL, at The Badlands in Attica, IN, or Silver Lake Dunes in Mears, MI. We should go riding some time. The Cliffs is only 1 1/2 hours away if that, I was there about a month ago and broke my wrist and rolled the quad pretty good. I just got the Grizzly back together ($700!!!), but I won't be ready to ride until the end of March or maybe even April (I broke it good!). Oh yeah, there is also Fox Vally Off Road near Ottawa, IL but that place is kind of small.

·
Registered
462 Posts
"I managed to straighten it with a new one from Ebay!"

priceless!!! Roflmao

1 - 9 of 9 Posts