Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to start a atv history discussion. It's fun to see everyones progression through different bikes.

We started with a 400 prairie, bought used for the ranch and hunting about 6 years ago. about a 1000 gallons of weed spray and 14 whitetails later, the Kow died. bought a Vinson 500 shifter 2 years ago and started trial riding on vacation. this was a good Quad but a slight mishap with a tree in wyoming totaled It. Now I own a 05 griz this is the first quad I've modified and I feal the best yet.

My wife started with a rancher Es, she traded for a 500 scarmbler, but after riding my griz traded for a 05 sportsman addition griz.

My little girl rides a 200 bayou and we have an old three wheeler in Manatoba to help hall boats over portages.

Whats next? for me hopefully nothing - will see how the grizz does in Moab this spring.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
hi fatboy all i have is an o3 grizz for a quad and a mortgage 0n the house.the house will be paid off in a couple years.then come more toys.bob m

·
Registered
701 Posts
Let's see here's my list and in order...

1989 Kawasaki Mojave 250
traded in for
1987 Suzuki RM125
sold a year later for
1989 Yamaha Warrior 350
then I sold that and had nothing for a while.
My last year of college I bought a
2000 Yamaha Wolverine 305
which I sold about 6 mos later for
2000 Honda 400ex
sold about another 6 mos later for a new
2001 Yamaha Raptor
Decided to switch to street bikes
2001 Yamaha FZ1
but I didn't use it enough. 3 years later I bought a
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660.

As for my next purchase, I'm holding out in hopes Yamaha will release a new grizzly. If not then I may start seriously looking at the Outlander 800.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here we go:

Honda fourtrax 90,
Kawaskai Bayuo 220,
Honda XR250 (dirtbike but it counts right?),
Honda fourtrax 300 (2x4),
Honda forman 450,
Honda Rubicon 500
Honda Rincon 660,
Yamaha Grizzly 660,

My next rides will be:

Yamaha Rhino 660
&
Honda CRF450X (Dirtbike)

Out of all the rides I have had my favorite are the Grizzly 1st and the Rubicon in 2nd place. If I could have the rubicon's transmittion in the grizzly then it would be the ultimate ATV in my opinion!

The worst was definilty the Rincon!!!! That was the biggest peice of crap I have ever ridden/owned!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well for me it's always been Yamaha. Started out with 1990 Moto4, this was a great bike. I can't tell ya'll the stuff this bike has been thru. The 90' Moto4 was a well built bike, had not the first problem with it. Now I ride an 06' 660 Grizzly, I've had this bike just a little over 1 week, I've been one 1 ride with it so far, and very impressed so far. I hope it will hold up like my 90' Moto4. I got 16 great years out of it....

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
My 05 Grizz is my first atv, I have owned a few dirt bikes/snowmobiles over the years but they don't count in here. I wish I had of bought an ATV sooner, I can't believe how much fun I am having!.........Irv

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lets see, I started riding my dad's 1971 ATC90 (three-wheeler and the first ATV evermade! I still have it) then got a 750 Katana, sold that for a CR250. Bought another CR250 cause I had no friends with dirtbikes, sold them and got a 400EX. Kept that for 3 months and bought a YZ426F. Kept that for over a year. In the mean time I bought my GF a Eiger 400 4x4 Auto so she could go with me. Then I sold the YZF when I witnessed my best friend break his femur on a dirtbike and bought my Grizzly. I have also had a 1997 CBR900RR, a 2003CBR954RR, and I currently have a 2005 SV650 cause I got way too many tickets on the RR's and faced loosing my license. Next i'm buying a XR400 to convert into a supermotard and then a CBR1000RR cause I've been good for a year and I am not going to stop for the cops anymore. If I don't have at least 4 bikes at once I don't feel complete!

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I started in May of 2002 with my 2002 Grizzly 660 as my first ATV. I looked at the three big-bore choices at the time (G660, Prairie 650, Sportsman 700) and liked it the best.

About two months later I picked up a used 2000 Honda 400EX for the dunes.

That October, I got a new 2003 Arctic Cat 400i 5sp as a second quad.

End of November I nearly totalled the Arctic Cat by barrel-rolling it down a steep hill in Las Vegas while down there selling the Honda.

In December I got a new 2003 Polaris Predator 500 for the dunes.

In May of the following year, I finally sold the Arctic Cat, which was by far the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned.

In June, I got a 2003 Honda Rincon 650, a huge improvement over the AC400.

In late Spring of 2004, I sold the Predator because I had gotten into snowmobiling and found dune riding to be boring.

By June of 2004, I had sold the Rincon, which I could no longer stand due to no low range gear, no locker, low power, and it liked to stall at the least opportune time. My gf at the time (now wife) couldn't stand it either.

In May of last year, I got a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, and my wife now rides the Grizzly and absolutely loves it.

GrizFatBoyRider: You're gonna LOVE your trip to Moab!!! I'm dying to go back again.

Rob

·
Registered
78 Posts
doolin64, I like the XR400 cause it's not an insanely powerful MX bike and has the Honda reliability. Plus Yamaha doesn't really make a comparable bike and the Suzuki DR400 doesn't have as big of an aftermarket as the Honda. I don't think I wan't the XR650 cause it's too big and dare I say too powerfull for what I am looking for.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rob, It was your trip photo's that pushed us over the edge. looks like mid may for a quick trip. If you haven't checked out that sit it's worth the effort.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My first is my actual 04 grizzly 660. Not even thinking of changing it.
It has only 2000 miles on it, and I am very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I started out on a Honda Big Red 200 3-wheeler I bought used in Alaska. That was a great machine.
Then I got a Honda 250SX 3-wheeler which was a step up with shaft drive and reverse.
Then a Honda Odesy 250. Whoever thought of puting an aircooled engine behind the seat needed to re-think the idea. A lot of scored pistons.
Then came the Honda 300 fourtrax and the Raptor. Too slow and too dangerous respectivly.
Now we have the his and hers Grizzlies and I don't think we will be getting anything new for a long time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
well 6 years ago my dad and i saw a little dirbike sitting in some guy's yard that lived down the road from us. so we picked it for 20 bucks canadian. it was an 1983 yamaha MX80 4 stroke dirtbike. so i fixed it up and rode that for a year, while my dad rode his 1974 Honda XL175 enduro bike(awesome bike, love it, and we still got it), then after riding the MX80 for a year it was getting too slow and sold that to a friend for 650 bucks canadian. then my family had the money in hand to go to Disneyland for 7 days, had like 6000 saved up. and my mom asks, if we wanted to go to DL for 1 week or get a quad and horse(sis really wanted a horse) so we scrapped the disneyland idea and i bought a quad and sis bought a horse. im REALLY kicking your arse for this, because we had 3000 canadian each and i only spent 1100 on the quad, and i have no clue where the other 1900 went. anyhoo.. so i bought a quad and dad found a TRX250 fourtrax type quad and bought that cheap. BUT the engine was in 2 cardboard boxes, and not 2 pieces of that engine were bolted together. well 350 can later we hauled it home. and dad put the thing back together. i bought an 1986 SuzukLT250EF, that when i bought it knew that it needed new tires and electric starter. and it has no rear suspension.... i've been riding that for 4 full years, in july it will be 5 years. i bought it with 3500 miles(5600 km's) on it, it now has 5062.5 miles (8100 kms's). i have close to 1100 into it now. since im going to alberta to work on the rigs i will be soon replacing it with a 2006 grizzly 660, maybe special edition if i can find one. dad sold the honda and hasnt bought another one since. he wants an AC400 2wd. but he cant find one. all he needs is like a 400-500cc. he says he's going to buy new but i highly doubt that right now, he's got a 20,000 shop to pay for right now. i love my dad's 74 honda XL175 enduro that he got from my uncle. its a beast and is LOUD, straight piped with a dinky little lawnmower muffler on the end.

·
Registered
141 Posts
in 83 my dad got me a 83 honda 185s three wheeler that i had for 12 years although it didn't run for the last 4 years i had it.i sold it and got a 84 yamaha 225dx three wheeler from my then girlfriend(now wife's)brother.and we still have that.last year i bought a 84 honda 200x three wheeler because i always wanted one,and i still have it too.about a month and a half ago i got my 05 grizz.it is the best,i love it!!!next will probally be a kodiak for the wife.but i don't plan on anything else for myself for a very long time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
we also used to have an 85 big red 200 3 wheeler. that thing was fun. i figured out fast that you could lock up the front tire(front brake was on the left side of bar) and sit there and spin the rear tires.... and the rear end would start going over to the left, and i did that with an empty 6'x6' utility trailer hooked up to the big red and did it in a little bit of sand in the driveway and just about jacked knived the trailer....great times. i would love ot get another one. and its fun to lock up the front tire in mud too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My first I owned was an '05 Yamaha Kodiak 450. Has most the features of the Grizz, just not the power...and thats why now I have my Grizz.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My first was a yamaha yzinger 80, then a yz80, 1984 yamaha 200 3wheeler, 2000 wolverine, 400 kodiak ultramatic, 2003 660 grizzly, 2004 660 grizzly silertip.My dad owns a 450 kodiak also. You could say im yamaha through and through.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Let's see....

1985 Suzuki Quadrunner 125cc (used) Still Have

1989 Warrior (used) Still Have

2000 Jehm Blazer 90cc (new) Sold

2001 Arctic Cat 300cc (new) Sold

2002 SE Yamaha Grizzly 660-Silver (new) Still Have

2002 LE Kodiak 400-Black (new-Canadian LE Model) Sold

2003 Arctic Cat 375cc (new) Sold

2003 Kawasaki Bayou 220 (new) Sold

2004 LE Yamaha Grizzly 660-Candy Red (new) Still Have

2005 Yamaha 350 4X4 Auto Bruin (new) Still Have

2005 Yamaha Grizzly 125 (new) Still Have

2006 Yamaha Blaster (new) Still Have

Next quad...most likely a new Yamaha YFZ 450.

SilverBear

1 - 20 of 26 Posts