Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me decide which brand to buy, what brand do you run? Why do you like it? Any info would be greatly appreciated. (Price does not matter)
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Warn 3.0ci with 30m plasma rope.
It is metal not plastic housed, waterproof, strong, reliable, ans 30 meters of synthtic winch lines rolls on. Need any more good reasons!!!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I have a Warn 2.5, Warn 2,000 and a Superwinch 1,500. So far I have had good luck with all of them.
Some people have not had good luck with Superwinch. The Warn 2,000 is kind of an obsolete model now. It was pretty much replaced by the 2.5. Some of the problems with them was the large dial type switch tends to burn out very easily. So far I have not had this problem. The other problem is it spools out under preasure. In other words, if you are winching up a steep hill and let off the switch, it will slowly spool back out because there is no break in it. For about $70 you can install a break which will cure this problem, but for that same extra $70 you can get the 2.5 which already has the break installed.
I don't have any other winches to compare to, but I would reccomend the Warn 2.5

·
Registered
462 Posts
i have a 2.5 Warn,and have yarded alot of bikes out with it,,,the 2.5 has plenty of power,and if you get too crazy with size,your just adding undue weight to you bike

if i ever have a problem with sliding while im trying to pull someone out,i take my tow rope,and hook it to a tree,and to the rear of my bike,,,,,if a tree isnt handy,just get someone to pull their bike nose to nose to yours,and just let the winch do the work,,,,,i have yet to have a bike i couldnt yard out with the 2.5 yet

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Well I run the Superwinch 2500 and so far it has not let me down but if I was to do it again I think I would do the Warn 3.0 with the remote control option and the synthetic rope like Beast suggested.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the warn 2500 and it worked fine but for a little more on my current grizz I put on a warn 3.0 with remote and I wouldn't have it anyother way. I absolutely love it. It is heavy but I like the metal housing.

·
Registered
462 Posts
the only plastic on my 2.5,is the "free spool/engauge" knob

just curious,,,whats the big advantage to the remote?

if your stuck,your on the bike,,,and if im going to go in deep mud,i pull the cable out enough to hook it onto the front rack,with enough slack to toss it to someone

if im pulling someone out that doesnt have a winch,their the one who goes slopping around to hook their bike

i'd rather save a little weight than to have a remote,,,thats just me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts