Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my GPS and I was wondering what GPS systems you use on your Grizzly?
I used to have an entry level Garmin Etrex that was fine for finding they way back to the car/chalet when out riding in a new place. I just found that no being able to store much, or not being able to link to my PC was a disadvantage.
I have just purchased a Garmin GPSmap 60C, this has 56MB of RAM, full colour, and links to a PC, (this allows me to save sets of waypoints on my PC and then only download what i need for the next ride.

I have used the Garmin Handlebar mount in the past, i hear the RAM mount is the way to go, but I have had no problem with the Garmin mount before.

Any ideas...??
Any strong opinions on GPS???

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Hi Beast,

I use a Garmin Camoweal, almost the same as the Etrex. It gets me back to camp, quad or the water hole I have picked off the map.

I find it the easiest GPS to use, very user friendly.

cheers Noel

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I use an older Garmin GPSMap 76S... monochrome screen. I want the new 76CS (color) but don't want to spend $450 right now. It works well enough though.

I use the RAM mount and love it... it has a lifetime warranty (broke one in a rollover and they replaced it no questions asked).

Rob

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rob, I think I will order the ram mount tomorrow!

I looked at the Garmin Quest, I thought it would good to use in the car and quad. But when I saw the arial , I was convinced it would break off on the quad

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Another issue with the Quest on a quad is dust... I would hate to see the thing get inundated with dust. That happened to my satellite phone and it grinds now whenever I rotate out the antenna.

Rob

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I use the Garmin V and love it in my truck. I have purchased a external antenna that is mounted on the roof.

On the Grizz I purchased the Garmin mount but because of vibration I think the batteries get shook up and the unit tends to shut itself off. Just found that out this last weekend.

Mike

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Grab a map of Nevada and have a look... there's lots of BFE out there; places where it's easy to be a hundred miles from civilization in any direction. And cell coverage isn't that great anyway except along the interstates, so having a sat phone is a really good idea.

It also helps a lot in the winter when snowmobiling up in the mountains.

Rob

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use a Garmin Rhino 120. It has botha GPS and a 2 way radio. You can also program other users into your GPS and locate them with it as long as they are on the same channel. They also make a handle bar mount for it, and I have the ability to mount in to both my Grizzly, and my Banshee

·
Registered
270 Posts
Are these things waterproof and rugged? Where and the way we ride would put a beating on almost any electronic gizmo.

Jim

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Grizzly NJ,

Take a look at www.garmin.com, the Garmin GPSmap 60 C is dustproof, drop proof and waterproof 30mins submerged at 1 meter. Should do the trick!!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[No message]

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
try this

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and the maps/trail on your PC look like this

·
Registered
270 Posts
Does all that come with the unit or do you have to go out and also pay for the maps, the service (like a cell phone?), the software? I have no idea about this stuff but we were thinking of getting one for tracking new trails and stuff.

Also, the unit shown above and the map and all, what would that one cost?

Thanks Beast.

Jim

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Locally (South Africa) it came bundled with SA Streetmap
Worldwide it is bundled with Waypoint & Trip manager, and the USB cable for my PC. Also with a worldwide base map (all major features and highways)

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60/

I see on http://www.gpsnow.com/gmmap60c.htm it is advertised at $449.99*

In the USA you also get Topographical maps which are GREAT!!

PS Buy a RAM mount holder for your Grizz (www.ram-mount.com)lifetime warranty!!

I hope this helps!!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
OK Beast here I go I have a few questions.

On mine I have a offraod setting is that kinda what you use. All the software I have is the Street map on my Garmin v. I want to track my trip like you did and have not really figured out how to yet.

I am also new to all this GPS stuff and still trying to figure it out.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I don't know if the Garmin V has mapping capability or not. If it does, I do recommend the Topo maps that Garmin sells. They're pretty nice.

For the ultimate in mapping, check out www.maptech.com. You can't use 'em in the GPS, but what I do is download the track log from the GPS into the map software so I can see where I've been, plus I plan the trips using the better map package because it has more trails and details.

Rob

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Ok Rob just checked it out on Garmin site and it does have mapping capabilty. **** man you scared me for a min there...lol Would not have been the first purchase I have made and screwed up on it though :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts