Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to what is the most amount of weight anyone here has pulled with thier Grizz? a lot of you are long time owners and know what this machine will do. I'm not just reffering to "non-resistive" weight like something on wheels but, but like dragging something like say a log or whatever. I tend to want to work my Grizz more than pleaseure ride it but, seems to me its always a pleasure to be on it. But if anyone has towed anything heavy on wheels what was it I'd like to know that too. I havent seen any horsepower stats on this machine either, just curious thats all.
nizz

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Sorry, best I can brag about is something on wheels... in this case, an OLD 1950s flatbed pickup truck that I towed about 50' out of a neighbor's driveway, across the street into a field, and then back again. We did this because it was easier to load up a hot tub we were selling.

I've dragged some logs too but nothing terribly huge... maybe 12" dia. or so.

Rob

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
logs are def heavy Rob and hard to determine their weight...I can imagine wet snow being a true test too...have you seen any HP stats on the Grizz?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've towed a full-sized ATV trainer full of loggs...Don't ask me how much it weight but the grizz was hauling

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I've been told the Grizzly stock 660 makes about 35 hp... but with a K&N filter, jet kit and a decent pipe, it jumps to 45 hp.

BUT, then people go and put big-ass heavy tires and that really kills the performance of the machine. I know since I did it. :)

Re-clutching helps, but you still have a lot more weight to get rolling.

Rob

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Oh wait... I just remembered!!! Talk about weight...

Without going into a long story/tirade, a year and a half ago, a friend and I were riding out in the Central Nevada desert. He wrecked and couldn't ride (badly sprained ankle). We got his machine out in the back of his truck, which ended up blowing two tires. The truck got left stranded in BFE overnight until we could get another spare out.

So here we are back at camp and need to get a 65+ lb spare tire and his 300+ lb butt out to his truck. Naturally, this isn't gonna happen 2-up on my Grizzly. I ended up towing his custom-built 3-place open trailer out to his truck, 20+ miles, with my Grizzly. On the trailer was him and the spare tire. I asked him to sit on the back of the trailer with the tire, to keep tongue weight to a minimum.

I figure his trailer, empty, weighs easily 1500 lbs, if not more. So I figure we were at least 1800-1900 lbs if not more. And I towed it 20 miles. I stared out in Low for the first 5-6, then decided to try High, and used that the rest of the way. I ran about 25 mph or so and it worked nicely.

Fortuately I was planning to replace the belt anyway, so I did a few months later. The old one didn't look bad though.

Rob

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats a cool story Rob, just the kinda stuff I was looking for! I'm just wondering what its capable of and what not to even think about trying...its rated for 1200 pounds so you know it will do more than that...I think they always cut the actual payload in half and rate it at that cause they know if they told us it would haul 2400 pounds we'd try 3000.

35 HP, thanks...thats a lot considering it size and gearing is what makes use of the power...look at the old CJ2 & CJ3's with 4 cylinders under the hood but I think the axles were like 588's..at least thats what my '49 had.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Yeah the first 5-6 at 15 mph was slow going but figured it was safest. The main reason I shifted into high was because I was pointed downhill a bit and there were no more hills to deal with... it was all flat in the valley.

Here's another story of what I was unable to do...

At the beginning of last snowmobile season, a little over a year ago, or a few months after the story above (and before I replaced the belt), a friend asked me to help me move his new 3-place open snowmobile trailer into his back yard iwth the Grizzly. I already had been keeping the thing in his garage because I was out of space in my own.

So we put the hitch on and hooked it up... but unfortunately the Grizzly's reverse gear isn't nearly as low as it should be, and there was a slight uphill grade. The trailer was empty, but weighed easily 1800 lbs if not 2000.

The trailer barely moved backwards, but I smelled a lot of burning rubber. I realized I had smoked the belt. Ooops.

I'm fairly sure if I could have gone forward and used Low Range, it would have worked a lot better.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
We have a farm so the Grizzlies get a pretty good work out all the time. I suppose the hardest it pulls is when I'm discing the pasture. I put 2 50# feed sacks on each rack for traction and it still spins the tires.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rob you bring up a point in all this...if you start to smell rubber then immed get off the throttle otherwise you roast the belt. purrty smart fer a newbie!

Starky, figure a tractor be better for the discing huh? I would think the Grizz would be great on a farm, esp for all the jobs that are too tight for the MF or whatever brand tractor you prefer...

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
how much weight do to think it took to shear both bolts holding the hitch in place. pulled that trailer for about 8 kms in some rough terrain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've pulled my father-in-laws camp trailer around my graveled backyard. We park it in my backyard for the winter. The camp trailer is estimated to be around 4000# dry.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
4000 lbs?!?!?!? is that camper a travel trailer or a pop-up Ernest? thats heavy!!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
The Grizzly does a pretty good imitation of a tractor with the bucket and the disc. All I need is a scraper to pull the horse manure out of the corners and I'll be set.
Mrs Starky was using the winch to strech fense. That was pretty cool.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you're serious...I thought you were F'n with me!

I cant wait to try out the plow although...if I dont end up using it this season I'm giving serious consideration to selling the Warn plow they gave me and buying the Moose county plow...that thing looks awesome.

I know its late...my dog is snorring something terrible.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've towed a Polaris 600 Twin Sportsman and it's rider 2 miles ouot of the woods, across creeks when he blew his belt and didn't have spare. He will never live that down.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah, he was a cutting some logs Tennessee!

I tried my camper today, its a '99 Coleman Sante Fe pop-up...rated at about 1600 I think but, its loaded to the gills with camping 5hit so I'm sure its close to 2K if not over..had no trouble forward but had to gas it a little more in reverse. after some of Rob's stories I didnt want to push it too much and burn up a new belt. I have too much fun on it to tear it up, thats what the truck is for!

level ground I'm sure it will pull it no prob, not too sure I would try and take it up any hills...I'm confident now small trailers loaded up will be a breeze. it was a good first hand test.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts