Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered 8 Moose ATV Universal Wheel Spacers.

Will they fit on my Grizzly 660?

If they do fit will they help with the slight tippy feeling?

Will they be hard to install?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Don't know what the Moose spacers are but by adding wheel spacers it will make the Grizzly much more stable. How wide are they? Buy you saying eight I assume these screw onto the existing lugs and extend them and you are only going to do two wheels; is this correct?

·
Registered
462 Posts
that sounds like a bad way of doing it

extending the studs,could be opening yourself up for some real damage,,,,by doing this your creating a pocket,void,or space if you will between each stud,,,although the nuts fasten the rim tight to the studs,thats pretty much all,and with them being extended,weaken them further,,,,im assuming this style is merely a coller that fastens to each stud idividually

when you mount the rim normally,the studs secure the rim,pressing the rim against the hub itself tight,essentially making everything one piece,,,,not just to the studs,,the studs are just part of it

having the rim mounted at only four points (the studs) can bend,or break studs,,,or can warp the rim due to repeated jarring from normal use,because now you only have 4 points obsorbing the pressure at the rim,rather than the whole hub,the rim itself wasnt even designed to take pressure from 4 isolated points,,,,,, the studs themselves were not designed to be sole support,they were designed to be a fastening device to hold the rim secure to the hub,,,,,fastening tight is where the studs have there strength,,,,the suspension hides alot of the abuse the wheels actually endure

they make wheel spacers that essentially "shim" the intire hub out,,,they are solid,and fasten tight to your hub using the hubs studs just as if they were the rim itself,,,they have a set of new studs mounted in themselves that your rim mounts to just as if it were the hub itself,,,,by doing it this way it makes everything one solid piece again,with all parts getting equal support all the way around,and keeping all parts within the scope that they were designed for,and distributing the pressure,and abuse equally throughout

although the spacers you are getting may be considerably cheaper,are you really saving any money opening yourself up to damage by using them,,,,i can see where after using that style for awhile,repeated hard hits could,and most likely will create wheel wobble at the very least due to bent,or tweeked studs,,,or even tweeked,or warped rim

good luck,let us know how they work for you after using them for awhile,,,im real curious

·
Registered
462 Posts
one other thing just occured to me,,,,how the studs mount to the hub on the Grizzlys is a pretty poor method/design to begin with

they slide in from the back side of the stud with a gear type meshing on both the hub,and the stud head that keeps the stud from spinning when removing the lug nuts,,,with the wheel off a tap with a hammer on the end of the stud,will pop it right out

ive already have spun one of these just from normal tire removal,,,,it took me about 3 hours drilling,beating,and banging with a cold chisle from behind the wheel through the brake assembly to get the head off the stud so i could get the wheel off,,,wasnt a good day

my point being its not hard to strip that "gear type meshing" (not sure of the exact term) on the stud or the hub,,,and a very large headache to fix,just to be able to get the wheel off

thats 2 things Yamaha should have done like Polaris,,the studs,and the air filter

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I had the 2 1/2 inch spacers on my Raptor and had the same concerns Hoo mentioned. With the wheel only being supported at 4 points instead of flat against the hub seems pretty weak. I was racing so there was a lot of tork on the rear wheels and I took a lot of hard hits on the whoops and jumps. They worked out fine and I never had any problems with my rims.
My personal opinion is you will be fine and they will definately take some of the tippy feeling away. If you go to a bigger than stock tire you may want to go with aftermarket rims or at least a collar type spacer. By moving the wheel out away from the hub you are increasing the flex between the wheel and the hub. With bigger tires there will be a much greater chance of something snapping or bending.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
hey master ,,, where you been,,,, havent heard from you since katrina hit,,,, looked your town up on the map and thought you might be part of a lake by now,,,,, good to see you back on ,,,,, I used the solid block alum. spacers,,,same setup as on my toyota and no trouble,,,,,,, later,,,,, ,,,, cg

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm running Moose spacers with no problems. They definatley help with the grizz's tippy feeling. They're extremely easy to install. Just like putting on a tire. I suggest you torque the spacers down like the wheels and I added thread lock for adding assurance with the spacers.

·
Registered
339 Posts
IMO the best spacers out there are the High Lifter spacers, they are as Hoo mentioned being a solid block of alumium that fastens to the hub with your esixting studs and the spacers have studs installed in them that the wheel attaches to. They are not cheap but I wouldn't use any others and I have them on my grizz.

I have heard of many problems from people that have used the stud extended spacers for all the reasons Hoo mentioned.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been cleaning up pine trees in my yard!

No house damage but I had about 10 one-hundred foot tall pine trees down.

I've been using my grizzly to death hauling log in a wagon and pulling them.

One load of logs I had maxed out my Grizzly's towing capacity.

I had it in Low Front Differential Four wheel Drive and all four tires were spinning! He He

It's just amazing how much this atv can tow!

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
cool master400,,, sounds like you were pretty lucky,,,,,I figured you were about right in the middle of it,,,,,I still think I will take the oklahoma tornados over a hurricane,,,, now that I said that I will probably get wiped off the map this summer,,,,, and I guess to keep this on topic,, good luck with the spacers,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,, cg

·
Registered
462 Posts
then why did he buy 8 of the doolin? does he have 2 bikes?

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Mostly I have seen the "stud extension" spacers used on the front wheels where there is less torque from wheel spin.
I may be counterdicting myself from another post, but I wouldn't trust them on the back with as much power and traction as the Grizzly has.
Stick with the solid collar type spacers on the back wheels.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have 1.5" spacers all round. I bought the ones from Riccli.

http://www.ricli.co.za

They do make it stable for sure!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do you put the Moose Universal Spacers on?

I got 8 wheel spacers because it came in a pack of 8 for $60.00

How does it work?

Is it 1 spacer for each wheel?

I have my grizzly and my beartracker to put them on?

I just got them in the mail today!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hi,

They should look like 8 hexagonal bolt extentions, male on one side and female on the other. If so then you have enough for 2 wheels!

Personally I would get another 8 before starting out! you want the front and back of a 4x4 to drive in the same track!

but anyway, to fit them....

remove the 4 wheel nuts and the wheel off the left rear wheel.
take a new moose wheel spacer and turn it on the wheel bolt, then tighten. IT IS JUST A WHEEL BOLT EXTENSION. Repeat for the other 3 bolts!

Replace the wheel, tighten the origional wheel nuts.

Thats one wheel done!

Repeat procedure for back right wheel.

If you have your origional rims on, then you now have 2 holes where your centre caps where!

You can go buy centre caps or you can make some. I used plastic pipe ends and put black round Yamaha decals on them!

·
Registered
701 Posts
See the other wheel spacer thread. I have a link to pictures of the moose spacer install. It's very easy to install.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I installed 8 wheel spacers on the rear wheels.

It was very easy and it made a big difference in stability.

It does not tip as much with rear wheel spacers.

I wonder if I should order the wheel spacers for the front?

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
i installed the front wheel spacers because i wanted the tires to still be in line for when i ride in mud.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts