Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have seen alot of pics of grizzly riders doing wheelies. I have a stock 05 that can't seem to get the wheels off the ground. I weigh 185lbs and have had the speed up to 65 mph so I figure something needs to be tweeked or modified to get them off the ground. So i am reaching out to all of you for some info. Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I know im at around 200 lbs and seems to me the only thing stoping mine from comeing up is traction. Tires just seem to spin even on the grass or some tacky dirt. Without a little hill or bump to help boost me up while in motion allready I have not got one while just sitting on the machine. Never tried to be on my knees and a foot on the rack though.

Good luck ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding xtremegrizz, I'm new to the group and wasn't sure if anyone would reply. I think the first mod I need to do is tires and rims. I went up against a 05 polaris 800 and his dosen't get over 70mph that seems low for such a larger a machine. I know Polaris calls it an 800 but I know it is only a 760 but you would think it would do better. After seeing them on the trails side by side I think the grizzly is a better machine, but to each there own and Polaris dose have a good rep for making a good machine.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
welcome zwick,,,, mine will come up on pavement or cement,,,, if im heading uphill on a little slope and can get traction it will come up on grass,, it doesnt take much of a slope,,, not sure how much my ft rack weights but when i took it off to put my temp guage on it felt like a ton but i got a basket and bag with a radio in it amoung other things,,,,im running stock tires and so far I have no big complants about them, i fugured I would have flats all the time, put some slime in them when it was new and so far no problems,,, enjoy the site,,, later,, cg

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Zwick, welcome to the site and congrats on your new grizz. From what i have read i think a lot of guys are holding there front brake while giving it gas, (kind of like a brake torque)Then they hammer the throttle and release the front brake and lift up on the bars. Should come right up? They are also using low range. Just be careful or it may just come right over and trust me you do not want 600 plus pounds laying on your chest! The Polaris quads are quite a bit heavier than Yamaha's so that is why they don't have the top speed that one would think. There reputation is horrendous, nothing but problem after problem! Makes me wonder why people keep buying them? I have read quite a few other forums that have all the different quad makers and the Polaris forum is full of peed off people with tons of Polaris problems. My br in-law has an 04 that has been in the shop 3 times in less than 500 km's and another buddy bought a 400 a couple of months ago and he is still waiting to get it back from the dealer? it has no power at all? You made the right decision by going with Yamaha IMO.......Irv

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome Irv. I plan on trying your advice this weekend. I took a look into the polaris complaints, wow what a surprise. I also was wondering about the jetting of the carbs when larger tires are added. It seems some people are just changing jet sizes and some are doing the dial ajet what do you think is the better way to go? The dial ajet seems like it may be better from what I read. I have my eye on a set of 26" mud lites and from what I can tell people are losing some speed after the upgrade.

·
Registered
701 Posts
When I had stock tires on my grizz. I could get the front up. Put in low and it was real easy. Fast forward to now with a winch and 26" tires and it does not come up that easy just driving around on gas. No for me to wheelie it's using mu getting a bump of a root or a rock while trail riding and then I can pull one.

CG, when you do replace your stock tires and run some 6 plys you'll be amazed at the differene. Specifically in cornering and stability. My stock tires always felt like they were going to roll off the rims while trail riding and taking corners at speed. With the new meats I have a lot more confidence and corners way better. Not to mention they look cool too :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
i weigh 195,,,before i started putting aftermarket stuff on,i had no problem yanking it up,even with the factory Dunlops

you do have to bring your knee up onto the seat,and lean your weight back when you nail it,and when you feel it coming up,you can then plant both feet on the boards

·
Registered
462 Posts
you were talking about Polaris's,,,i have 3 freinds that have Sportsmans,,,and everyone of them cant keep CVC joints from going out,,,and they start going out in about a year

·
Registered
809 Posts
Talk about bringing back an old post! Anyways, for those of you who want to bring the front end up, here's the trick. You should be able to wheelie on grass, gravel, you name it.

Shove the tranny in high ... stand up straight ... compress the suspension by bouncing hard once and hit the throttle as the suspension unloads ... bang you're in the air! If your timing is on, the front end will come up, quite easily in fact so watch out! Once up, small adjustments are all thats needed. If the front end is coming down fast, just hammer the throttle and it will land softly. This also works in low gear. Bouncing will also provide more traction to the rear wheels (for that split second).

If you prefer to be sitting down, stand up and sit down hard towards the rear of the seat ... (same effect as bouncing) and hammer the gas ... it's a little harder but easier to control when in the air!

If it's your first time, do this in a field or something.

Craig

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use the rear brake, load the front end when the front end comes up I give it WOT.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I had troubles pulling a wheelie with stock tires, they'd rather spin than grab enough tracion to get the front tires off the ground. Now even with the 27" 589's and C- series (extremely heavy) wheelies are simple now. Throttle, pull on the bars and bump yor a$$ on the seat and there you go.

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
It's all about wieght transfer... If you can keep the rear wheels from spinning, Grizzlies will howl at the moon any time you want them to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
it's all the operator. mine did it all stock without thinking about it, and now with the mods done it pulls up at 10 even 18 mph on flat ground. just trnsfer your weight.

·
Registered
144 Posts
While learning to do wheelies the knee on seat, foot on rack methood provides and escape route if it goes over backwards. On flat ground the rear rack will keep the machine standing strait up.

·
Registered
809 Posts
dunno what it is but I find it easier to stand while doing a wheelie, feels like you're more in control ...

Those who run with the rear seat/storage, man, it's so easy to wheelie!!! All that weight back there makes for some crazy airtime.

Craig

·
Registered
78 Posts
My favorite topic! i'm 6'4" 275lbs and have an all STOCK 02' griz that will wheelie easily in high range with no brake. Kneel on the seat with one or two knees and going about 5mph, let of the throttle and immediately get back on it and she will stand right up. I can ride wheelies on the griz until I run out of road and can even do them up a dune in SilverLake sand dunes! Practice with a helmet and you will be good.

·
Registered
78 Posts
another

·
Registered
1 Posts
Although new to this site I have to thank you guys, I can now ride awsome wheelies on my stock 06 griz, even with a warn up front and 27" mudlites. Once I learned to properly load the front end, she comes up everytime...

·
Registered
78 Posts
It really shocks people to see a 600lb. utility quad on two wheels doesn't it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts