Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found it online for $89 dollars in a couple of places, but theres always one place that sells it the cheapest. Wondering if any of you have any reccomendations. Also how hard is it to install? Especially since it doesn't include changing the clutch springs.

Thanks,

Koko

·
Registered
341 Posts
I paid $89.00 plus shipping from a vendor on Ebay. You get one heavier spring and eight lighter bushings. I didn't install mine because I didn't want to purchase the spring compressor tool, so I just brought it to Putnam Yamaha. They did it for $100.00 and to me it was well worth the cost. The special tool alone was $75.00 and then I would still had to install the kit myself. So for the hundred bucks it was well worth it and less aggrivation for me in the long run.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The advantage of adding a clutch kit changes the rate of shift when you are running bigger aftermarket tires. Adding larger tires takes away from the bottom end thus having to use low range more. When you add the clutch kit you get back much more low end so you can use high range like when you had only just stock 25" tires on. That's the only way I can best discribe it.LOL

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats exaclty what I read online as well. Stock tires you do not need a clutch kit. You don't necessarily need it with bigger tires either unless you want the same performance as stock. With a 26 in tire the Dalton spring kit makes the Grizzly drive like stock. The EPI or Highlifter clutch also includes the wet springs in the clutch kit, whcih to my understanding is what you need the special tool for. This kit is used for guys who are running the big 27" and up tires. A full clutch kit I read is not recommended if you are still plowing and do slow speed riding. Because it raises the RPMs needed to for the clutch to "shift". Thus the 89 dollar Dalton is what I want. I don't intend on running larger than 26 inch tires. Now I just need that **** blazer to sell and I can order my rims tires and clutch kit.

Koko

·
Registered
339 Posts
koko,

Check out Ritter Cycle Racing, Inc out of Illinois, they are a distributor for Dalton.

You do need a spring compression tool to install the Dalton clutch kit. The large spring in the kit is for on the secondary clutch and a tool is needed to replace this spring. What some people do is take the secondary clutch off and then take it to your local dealer for them to change the spring for you. Otherwise you are correct with your statements concerning the operation of the various kits.

With the 26" tires and Dalton kit my Grizz runs like it had the 25's on still.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I'll give them a call tommorrow. Most likely I'll remove the secondary clutch and have the dealer replace that for me.

Koko

·
Registered
341 Posts
I couldn't agree more with DK. I really cannot tell one bit that I am running 26" tires. With the Dalton clutch kit all I have to do is throttle up and the machine responds great. I run in high range 99% of the time where as before without the Dalton I had to use low range just to keep those revs up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts