Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just talked to the fellow who installs the clutch kits etc, he adviced me not to drive my quad with out getting the clutch kit installed first? He says the 27" 589's will put to much stress on my clutch and could cause problems. Is this sound advice or is he being over cautious?.......Irv

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Im no expert irv,, but I would think if you were just out doing a little putting around and some mild trail riding you would be ok,,, not too sure I would take it hill climbing or in the deep mud,, and then im not sure what the clutch would do but i would think it would be lugging the engine and might overheat,,,,, all just a guess,,,,,,, and by the way,, wal mart has digital cameras, you can go get one,,get a couple pics then take it back,,,,,, ,,,,,,, good luck,,, ,,,, ,,, ,,,,, cg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Irv, I put about 4o hours before adding the clutch. If I was climbing I just used low.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Irv, your not going to hurt the clutch, your just geared up a little. Put nearly 2800kms on my 27 ITP 589's and I don't even feel the need for the clutch kit. I've always had the big tires on so I really don't know how much power was lost, but with the pipe ,jetting and air box mods I still kick on stock Grizzly's bottom and top end. I still find I can do quite a bit of mudding while still in high. Try it out first and then get the clutch kit next time you decide to spend money on the Grizz.

·
Registered
339 Posts
....mud is correct you won't hurt the clutch any with the new tires. You will find yourself staying in low range for any slow riding, otherwise it will feel like it is lugging the engine. I believe other than lugging the only harm would possibly be to the belt although that would take some extreme situation to do that also.

Myself only riding a few times after installing the 26" tires I felt like I needed the clutch kit. I am very happy with the Dalton kit for my riding style and it was well worth the cost.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys, I will throw them on tomorrow and try them out, I went for a good ride last Sunday so I should be able to tell you how much power I lost? I will let you know. How hard is it to put the Dalton clutch kit in? They are about $100.00 bucks to buy and the guy's I am considering to do the job want about $100.00 bucks to install it. I am thinking I could probably do that myself or should I watch him do it the first time? Thanks again......Irv

·
Registered
339 Posts
It's not hard to install, just need a couple of tools that most people don't have in their box. I forget the size of the sockets needed for the primary and secondary clutch, maybe some else knows. You can fabricate a large strap wrench to hold the clutch while removing the nuts from the clutches then you need a tool to compress the big secondary spring so you can safely remove and install.

I prefer to work on the Grizz myself, but $100 for an install isn't bad cause it will probably take an experienced person about 2 hours plus they probably have the tools.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks DKNARD, I may just get them to do it when the times comes? I know they have done quite a few and are probably pretty handy at it. I have a few sites with instructions and pics to help guide a first timer through it but I would rather watch someone first. I didn't get my lug nuts and caps today! Probably not my dealers fault but I wanted them for tomorrows ride. I think it is going to be fairly muddy tomorrow so it would have been a good test for them, I guess I won't be playing to deep with the stockers? I think the socket you are referring to is a 22mil?........Irv

·
Registered
339 Posts
Irv...I would think that your stock lugs would work just fine and just add the caps later when they come in. I would say run the new tires if you have a ride planned.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually tried that DK but the stock lugs are too small, they go right inside the lug hole and it is impossible to get a socket around them. It would have to be the thinnest walled socket ever made in order to tighten them up. The lugs for these rims are longer and the head sticks out so you can get a socket on them. I will just have to wait until they come in.......Irv

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DK, I went and retried my lug nuts after you said they would fit and they did work, I thought there was no way of getting a socket arount them but there was just enough room. I had a great ride and the new tires/rims worked great! They are going to take some time to get use to, they sure grab and want to pull you were they want to go but they worked awesome. Thank you very much.....Irv

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys, what is the best way to gain back some lost power? I am definately going to get a clutch kit, probably the Dalton if that is a good choice? I am thinking of a jet kit and maybe a new Uni Filter? Anybody run a TwinAir? I am also going to drill some holes in my baffle and hopefully put on a power tip. I can't afford a pipe at this time so that is out of the question. Any info would be greatly appreciated.........Irv

·
Registered
339 Posts
Either the Dalton or the EPI kit will do the job, the only differences being the EPI will increase the rpm by about 200 before the clutch engages.

Think about where you ride and what you plan on doing with the Grizz before you go modifying the exhaust. I would suggest trying the clutch kit by itself before doing any other performance mods. Although if you are using the stock air filter again I would suggest changing that to your choice of filter attached to a prodesign airbox adapter.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks DK, does the Dalton not increase the RPM before clutch engagement? I looked at the EPI Sport Utility Clutch, it looks like the best choice from EPI.........Irv

·
Registered
339 Posts
The Dalton kit does not change the clutch engagement rpm, that was one of the main reasons I picked the Dalton kit for myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts