Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my winch to raise and lower my 60" Moose Plow, and it has broke twice on me. I believe I saw a strap or rope replacement for the winch somewhere does anyone have any idea where you can get one of these.

I do have a heavy duty roller fairlead but still having cable problems

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
This doesn't sound right at all. Do you know why your cable is breaking. Most people use theirs for years with no problem. If you've broken yours twice already this year then there is a serious problem.
Give us some more info if you can.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I guess I should include some more history.(Warn 3.0 Winch)
Before plowing this year, I had used the winch once, and found out later that it should roll back in evenly accross the spool, well this one was not that way was actually hard to pull out because of the way it was. I later pulled it out and hooked the hook to my Z71 and let the winch pull the Grizz up the driveway and this did a better job of evening out the cable. So there are kinks in the cable to start with.

When I repaired the broke cable was working ok, then last night the cable pulled out of the allum ferral. I had used the cable crimpers, and the right size ferrals. This time I put 2 ferrals on and crimped the $hit out of both of them. Well now one of the farral is caught in the roller fairlead [email protected]#$%^.

I have the next size down cable in a spool in the garage and lots of ferrals for it, wonder if I should use a short section of that for plowing. I really think because the cable I have now is frayed in places, and has some kinks in it that this could cause problems for a while.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also have a 60" moose county plow. My cable broke once. I fixed it and so far this year no problems.I did purchase the warn synthetic rope which they say is supposed to hold up better. Ive been to busy to put it on but if my cable breaks again i probably will. I have the warn 2.5. The reason they break is because of the angle of the cable.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
We use the plow for not only snow but also for pushing horse manure and with the bucket to pick the manure up. Mrs. Starky has a tendency to raise the plow and bucket up until it hits the bumper and then she doesn't always stop. This is evident by the shape of the bumper and the fact that the winch plate is bent. But we have never had a problem with the cable coming apart or breaking.
It's important to keep the cable spooled evenly on the drum but you guys already know that. If I have to use my winch on a ride I always pull the cable out and respool it when I'm cleaning the machine. I only keep it spooled as tight as I can hold it with my hand. Just be sure to wear good leather gloves before you do this. Those little broken wires are like razors.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hi Pa_06Grizz660,

On the warn.com site under ATV, you will find a synthetic 8ft winch plow rope!

I hope this helps!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
You can also find the 8ft sythentic ropes on ebay. My cable broke as well plowing last year, I now have the cable crimped. So far so good. We'll see if it holds. Once winter ends, I'll go back to running my 50ft synthetic rope and hawse fairlead. But for plowing I'm stll going to use the winche cable and roller fairlead.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
doolin64,

I am curious why you wouldnt use the synthetic rope for plowing seems like this would eliminate any problems?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I just didn't want to use the 50ft synthetic I have for it, and in lieu of buying an 8ft synthetic rope, I just cut down my old broken winch cable in half. I was trying to be thrifty. If it breaks again this winter, I'll just order the syn cable and call it a day.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have never chenged out the cable but when I put my roller fairlead on it was a real Pain in the butt, However if i went with synthetic rope, and the 8' lead then I could just leave the other fair lead on.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yup you could. But thats still a lot of friction for the rope even on a smooth fairlead. If I get the 8' lead, I still run the roller during plow season and swap to the hawse when I switch back to the 50 footer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the Roller Fairlead really cause problems with the synthetic rope? I wonder if its just a way to get you to buy another part.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yes it does. You can use a roller fairlead, but if you ever were stuck or were winching someone else out from an angle, then the rope could slide into the sides of rollers and become damages, causing the line to snap. The Hawse fairlead won't do that. I got mine of ebay shipped for less than 30.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts