Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Beast,

You have to put the zip-tie in the "first convolute" closest to the CV boot band clamp. In other words the zip tie should be placed in the 1st lower groove of the boot nearest the band clamp. When it is in position then tighten it by pulling it close(tight) with a pair of pliers. Also, you must remember the forward motion of the shaft and the velcro must be in the correct position. You want the velcro crease on the top of the shaft so when forward motion is occuring if anything catches the boot cover(like a stick) it will just ride over it instead of tearing the velcro seal apart. In other words picture in your mind a shaft turning forwad(which is mostly what we do when riding) and if the velcro seam that runs along the length of the shaft catches a stick it will want to rip the seal apart instead of just gliding over it. If you look at it real good you will know exactly what I am talking about. Anyway, give that a shot and let me know how you make out. And I hope I didn;t confuse you too much with the shaft thingy!LOL

Thanks Blue Grizzly,

I will try that out tonight!

Also I will remove the front wheels!!

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Yes I did remove my wheels when I installed them the "second time".LOL The first time I put them on, I didn't bother to take the wheel off and after my first ride with them they needed to be installed correctly. If you noticed on the boot cover there should have been a left/right marked somewhere. When the cover is in the right position on the shaft, the velcro seam should be facing the rear of the machine when it is joined to the other half/side of the cover. That way things will "slide off" in forward motion instead of getting hung up and ripping the velcro seam apart. That's the best way I can explain it! LMAO hope it helps you.

Are you guys happy with your purchase so far? Do they work or are they a pain in the a double s? I am thinking about purchasing/ordering 4 today? i am going to install 2 on the front lower and rear lower? they are more money up here in Canada so i want to make sure they are a good investment first.......Thanks, Irv

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Irv,

I am very happy so far with them. I don't know if you will be able to do what you want with them as for mounting two in front and two in the rear. Although the four covers are cut the same they use a different method of attaching them. The "inner" covers have the zip-tie running thru a "hem" and the "outter" covers have the zip-tie running in and out much like "stitching". The inners attach directly to the CV boot band clamp where as the outters attach between the first convolute(lower groove) of the CV boot. JPGrizzly did his machine the way you want to do, so maybe he could give you some insight of how he did it. I just broke down and bought two sets so I am totaly covered on the boot issue now. With my **** luck if I only put them on the outter CV boots(front&rear) I would probably rip/tear the "inners" LOL..

Even with all of the blazing through mountain laurel and brush that I do I have only ever torn one boot and it was the rear inner. I have thought about those covers but I have always been afraid of what I can't see if they were placed on the machine. If a boot gets a tear or wears through I want to see it so that I can replace it. When I replaced the torn boot I used a heavier type from Gorilla and actually bought two extras to have laying around.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
DK,

I also had reservations about what you stated, but the instructions suggest removing them periodically to properly inspect the boots. Removal is easy, just cut the zip-ties off and undo the velcro. I just did mine last week and it was a snap, all 8 boots were just fine upon inspection. Radio Shack has the black zip-ties and I bought a package of 14" and 5" as per what the manufacturer calls for. It may seem like a pain in the ass to remove them and then re-install them, but for me, it's worth a little effort to protect the boots which in the long run saves the CV's. I also noticed my right front "outter cover" had a bunch of scratches and some discoloration of the material. That was caused from my last ride when I plunged in a beaverdam crossing and I was breaking thru the ice 3 inches thick. I must have had a chunk of ice caught between the A-arm and the boot and didn't know it, and I continued to ride causing all the scratches and scuffs. I am thrilled that the cover did it's job because surely the ice would have torn the boot I'm sure. Nevertheless I am glad I made the investment and I would purchase them again without any hesitation.

Hey Irv,

I do recommend them, although it was a bit tough to get them fitted right the first time!
now they stay in place and are as tough as anything!

Do the front and back with 2 sets, I had the same dilema, also very expensive in South Africa!

The price of a new CV is just as expensive in proportion!!

thanks a bunch lads, I bought "1" set so far and i am going to install them on the front today, i think i understand all your tips so i will let you guys know how i make out....Irv

Hey guys, i just finished installing them a while ago, i put the 4 on the front and will probably buy the 4 for the rear? I do have some questions though? When putting on the front outers where you have to use the front convolute (groove) you said in your posts to tighten them really good? Does this not create new problems? I am thinking when you tighten the tie-wrap you are pushing the rubber boot into the internal rotating mass? Will this not cause the boot to rub on the internals and wear from the inside out? Blue-grizz said to use pliers and pull tight? Is everything going to be ok? or did i tighten mine too much if possible?...Irv

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Irv,

Yes I did use pliers to pull the zip ties with. However, when you do the outers(1st convolute) just tighten them enough where the boot isn't crushed. Keep in mind, the internals rotate with the boot because the boot is banded in place, so as long as the zip tie is tight but not crushing the boot you will be fine. They really aren't that bad at all to remove and replace. I have had mine off and on more then once now, just to check and see if all was Kosher, and everything was fine. Plus the fact that the CV covers are sold by Yamaha as "original accessories", should the boot wear because of the cover, I would think they would have to do something to replace the boot. I know I will be bitching them out enough that they will do the repairs just to get me out of their hair!

Thanks Blue-grizz, duh, i never even thought about the internals rotating with the boots! I think i may have them too tight? I will get some new tie wraps and try it again. Another question, when i was installing the left front the wheel/tire assembly would rotate no problem with very little effort, but when i did the right side the wheel would not turn? I checked and double checked just to make sure it wasn't in 4x4 or diff lock but it would still not rotate/turn? Is this normal? I just thought if it was only in 2 wheel drive both fronts should turn with no effort? Any info would be greatly appreciated...Irv

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Could your disc brakes on that side be dragging perhaps? Or is the wheel getting froze up from a bad wheel bearing maybe? If I remember right, both my front wheels turn free when I have it jacked up off the ground when in two wheel drive.

Blue-grizz, the bike only has 3 hrs on it and is a brand new 05? When i tried to turn it, the resistence seemed to be coming from the differential? I am thinking of putting a new thread out and asking everybody? I better find out for sure what is going on and see if anybody else notices this?

I think this is quite normal, I have a 05 Grizzly and one of the front wheel bearings went after 1000Kms about 700 miles. While I was checking the bearings I noticed that one of the front wheels turned much easier than the other. I thought this strange so I checked my friends 05 Grizzly bought at the same time as mine and his was exactly the same. I did notice that the same bearing was starting to go on his machine, not bad enough to change but definetely on its way out, his Griz has less miles than mine. So beware the bearings are crap, mine was changed under warranty but that is not the point, surely they should last more than 700 miles.

Thanks Grizzlyspain, i posted in another web site (man,is this web site ever getting slow!) and there was a bunch of questions/replies about the same thing. It is normal, from what i understand is that the right axle is never 100% free from the ring/pinion gear even in 2 wheel drive? It is just the way it is designed. Thanks for the heads up on the bearings, i will be keeping an eye on them.........Irv

Hi Irv, which other forum does it have much relevant facts about Grizzly, I am always looking for more info. This is a great forum, I have not found any better for the Grizzly but there may be more, let me know. David

Hey grizzspain, i tried to post a couple of days ago but now i see it is gone? I guess i am not allowed to mention other forums?? Anyways just go into your search engine and type ATV and you will get a bunch of sites. Just scroll down and you will see other forums on there. Hopefully this message makes it through?............irv

Irv,

I have my CV boots "real" tight""

I changed the original cable ties for much stronger thicker ones. the first 3 times I fitted them, they kept comming loose on the "outers" (wheel side).

Now that I have them as tight as could be, they are in place, tight, doing their job, and wont come loose or allow any abrasive or penatrative damage!!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.