Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday I was taking a real nice and slow ride with my son, I was moving along at about +/- 15km/h when I felt the back end slide and wobble a bit. At first I thought I had a flat tyre. I went to check and saw that there was no flat so I drove another 10 meters and felt the same. I stopped again! This time I went to look at the back and I saw that my left rear axle had seperated from the diff. Man was I pissed!!

I have just had it serviced at the dealer 2 weeks ago and about 150km ago !!!

Well I thought it was only a few (2003 and earlier) Grizzly's with the rear axle problem, definately before the 2004 model.

Well fellow Grizzly riders, be careful it seems that it WILL happen to you, the only question is WHEN???
so be vary careful,

I hate to imagine what would have happened if I was going fast!!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Sorry about your luck Beast, I also thought that problem was a thing of the past? Is it a hard and expensive fix? Do you have a manual? Also, how do i check out BEAUTY AND for more pic's? I would like to see them. Anyways good luck with the repair........Irv

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
That is not good Beast,

I am glad that you were not doing any great speed when it happened. Mate that is a great pic of you and young fella.

Irv,

If you look under b in the members list you can look up Beauty and's profile to view the pics.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Irv and Noel,

I took the Beast into the Dealer this morning.
They have not stripped it yet so I do not know the full extent of the damage yet.
I did print out a few threads off the site of similar problems and the dealer says he will try to get Yamaha to do it under warrantly (it's 11 months old).
Fortunately my tyres are still 25" standard sizes, but Maxxis Bighorns, so they can not blame tyre size modifications as the reason.

Thanks for the kind words...

I will let you guys know the damage!!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Yea defently keep us informed. Now you have me a little worried we only have a few hundred miles on ours and nothing so far but I will defently keep and eye on them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to me a month ago on the left side also on my 2003 Grizzly I got the axle pushed back in on the trail and got back to the vehicles with it. It is just the circlip that was not strong enough. I went to the dealer to get a circlip and found out that you have to get the complete CV boot kit to get the clip you need at a cost of $50. The only damage to mine was the diff. oil seal started leaking so when i changed it I just pried the clip apart and put it back in and have not had any problems with it yet and i just check it once and a while when riding.
Mike

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
King2,

I remember thinking the same thing. If you read through the posts you will see that they the Grizzlies are not as bad as they sound. Then we you take it out and push it I am sure you will be as impressed as the rest of us, they are an awesome machine.

JMHO

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
339 Posts
One nice feature of owning a Grizzly is anything and everything that could possibly happen already has so there is information available to correct the issue. Another bonus is anything and everything that could be modified has been done, so again you have information available for modifications.

They are a good machine however since they are large and powerful there will be problems along the way, but every other quad in their class will have problems as well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
luckly I have not had a problem out of mine. In fact I am going to be getting a Rhino very soon (next few months) because I am so impressed with the grizzly's performance.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Nice looking bike King2becool and welcome to the site. You have bought the best quad money can buy in my opinion! This is a rare break with the Grizz's, it was a problem mostly with the 03's. Not that these bikes are meant to be babied but i am thinking Beast is probably a little harder on his quad than most people? No offence Beast, i was just referring to your pictures of you jumping it? Do you think this could have anything to do with it? How often do you jump your Grizz? Please don't be p-ssed with me i am just thinking Grizz's or any big Utility quad shouldn't necessarily be used for jumping? Any thoughts?........Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Irv,
I am not pissed, fair comment. I have only jumped the beast about 10 times. By the way, the jump in the pic is gentle, the shocks lift the beast. According to Yamaha, only Griz's with non standard rims/tyres/spacers will break the axles.
The damage on mine is 3mm of the 40mm spline is sheared about a third. so axle seems usable. I am still awaiting for Yamaha SA to take a warranty deciion.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Glad to hear the good news what Yamaha says! Sounds like they are/should fix it then? Beast, i noticed your profile now says Johannesburg, Canada? Are you originally from Canada? If so, where abouts? That sure is a great Pic of you and your son! My boy is only 3 and half and i can barely keep him off of mine! Anyways keep us posted on how you make out, take care.........Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Irv,

I have wheel spacers on my Grizzly, so Yamaha might not cover it, I will wait and see...

Canada/NL Not Listed not sure what Rob is up to, I live in Johannesburg South Africa.

My youngest son has just turned 5, he races a Dinli Dino 50cc quad for the last 18 months. I now want to buy him a Grizzly 125 for the outrides and trails.

Regards

·
Registered
40 Posts
Irv, I have over 1500 miles on my 05 Grizz and I jump it every time I ride. At least 2-3 feet high per jump, mine has handled it fine. I've got the suspention as tight as it goes though. Ben

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well to all my fellow Grizzly Owners, There is good news!!!
YAMAHA repaired and replaced all the damaged items under full warranty!!!
even though my bike is 11 months old and has 5000km on it. I collected it today from the dealer, all clean and shinning and looking good and absolutely NO CHARGE!!

I am off for 2 days to TULANI GAME LODGE to try it out in the morning.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Great news Beast!! Glad to hear everything worked out!! Nice to hear Yamaha came through as well even past the warranty! That is another reason, not that we need many? to buy a Grizzly. Have fun on your 2 day trip, ride carefully.....Irv

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Good stuff Beast,

Enjoy the ride.

Cheers Noel

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Glade to hear they fixed it under warranty with no charge. Did they say anything about why it happened or if they have herd of a problem with them doing this?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts