Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tripped across this board. Glad I did too. Learned some stuff about my Grizzly I had no clue of. Just snagged my 06 Grizz last weekend. New tires are in serious order. My friends went with huge tires. Their machines are boggy TURDS!!! I do not want that effect. Thus why I thought a near stock size tire was a fairly good idea. I was looking at the Mudlite XTR's in 25x8x12 and 25x11x12 little wider in the back. Im not looking for an increase in clearance, just a better all around tire. Is that about the only advantage to a taller tire is ground clearance?? Also, have any of you guys used the Trail Tech HID lights? Saw them last night on a couple sites. Would like to add some HID in the future.

Thanks in advance. I tried searching on a few things but didnt come up with much.

-Jared

·
Registered
382 Posts
Welcome aboard ksgrizz! cant answer your question about the tires but can def agree about not changing the hieght unless you wanna change other stuff to.

Oh be forwarned about countrygrizz, you know how them Okies are !

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Glad you showed up ksgrizz. For the most part, the bigger tires are for looks. I got the 26" Dirt Devils because the 25"ers didn't have as aggressive a tred. If you ever get a chance to actually measure some of the 26" tires you will see that a lot of brands actually run closer to 25 than 26" anyway. If you do go to a bigger tire than stock it is recommended that you install a clutch kit to get back the lost bottom end power.
Don't know much about the lights but be sure to share what you learn with the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
hey nizzzzzzz,,,, wonder if he seen what you said about kansas a couple days ago,,,, lol,,,,,, ,,,,, welcome ks,, ,,, ,,, ,,, ,,, cg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"hey nizzzzzzz,,,, wonder if he seen what you said about kansas a couple days ago,,,, lol,,,,,, ,,,,, welcome ks,, ,,, ,,, ,,, ,,, cg"

Do I even want to know??

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
ksgrizz06, welcome to the site.
Before you buy new tyres take a look at the MAXXISS BIG HORN radials. If you check other discussions on this forum, you will see it has become a favourite choice. 6ply, great tread, excellent in rocks, sand, hardpack and medium to low mud. This is not a pure mud tyre but the best trail tyre!

·
Registered
141 Posts
welcome ksgrizz06,i just joined too.seems like a realy nice place!
my brother in law has the MAXXIS BIGHORNS and so far he likes them very much.i too have stock tires but not for long i will probally get the big horns too:)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Welcome to the site ksgrizz06, it's a great place. I haven't got my new tires yet but when that happens I am going with 26" Bearclaws, they are not a mud tire but more of an all terrain tire. Although they are way better than stockers when it comes to mud. Check out the posts on them........Irv

·
Registered
382 Posts
ksgrizz I think we were commenting about the barometric pressures and the course of the jet stream when we were commenting on Kansas there right CG?

nizzzz

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Welcome Ksgrizz06,

Welcome to the site I am sure you will like it here. I run the mudlites in 26" they are a great tyre but I will be installing a clutch kit as Starky said, I like having heaps of bottom end power,,,, makes for lots of fun.

Don't worry too much about nizz and CG you get used to them after a while :)

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome Ksgrizz06,
I'm new here too. I have 26" Mud Lites on my 05' and it did steal some bottom end snap. I had an EPI clutch kit put in it this week, but I need to go pick it up from the shop. I'm going to go get it thursday. I will post a tread on here telling how it is.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
For all you new guys, we must have pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Also, if you find you really like this forum you can donate a couple bucks and be one of the elite Supporting Members. There is also some pretty cool shirts.

Rob, do I get paid extra for saying that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
starky,
i have a pic on my new guy thread,did you miss that one?i see you didn't post to it!?!
www.grizzlyowners.com/index.cfm?action=thread&catid=58&topid=392&thrid=22378

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Sory Bluevette, I missed it. I was on leave back in North Dakota and didn't spend too much time on the computer.
Nice Grizzly. Of all the colored ones I like the green the best.

·
Registered
141 Posts
thats alright Starky,i figured you just missed it or wasn't able to get on here.i was just playing with you a bit.have a good day!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies guys. Im not lookign to go straight crazy on tires. I did look at the Bighorns and look like a nice tire. Reason I kinda leaned towards the XTR's was that my friend has them and really likes them. I thought it rode nice. But again, its pretty doggy on the bottom side. Not too sure if Id want to kill off my top end to gain more low end with a clutch kit. Thus why Im looking at 25's. Yea im a wuss I guess.

Oh yea. Whats this I keep hearing from my friend about an R1 or R6 pipe on a Grizz. Is there alot of guys that have tried that?

I put a pic in my profile.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
That's definately a clean machine KS. Let the mods begin.
I used to have a Whitebrothers R4 exhaust on my Raptor and it was awsome but they discontinued it. Who makes the R1 or R6, I haven't heard of it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Starky,

He was telling me some people have taken the stock pipe off of a Yamaha R1 or R6 and put it on a Grizzly!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Oh, ok. I've never heard of it being done. If it fits and it's less restrictive than the stock Griz pipe it may be worth trying if you can get one cheap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts